Plastic DJs keep getting hard

Discussions of interest about making wine, cider and other fermented beverages

Plastic DJs keep getting hard

Postby MrBoy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 14:13

I racked 15L of cider to 3 5L plastic water bottles a week or so back; it had been in the FV about 3 weeks and the gravity had stabilised.

It was bottled cold (5C) and very clear, no sediment in the 'DJs'. I put the bottle caps back on as I have no suitable bungs and left two in the garage. I brought one into the warmth of the house to check fermentation had completed, and have been checking frequently.

I've noticed it has been repeatedly getting hard every few days, so I twist the cap just enough to let the pressure out each time. This is making me worried it may still be fermenting but there remains absolutely zero sediment which I'd view as indicative of ongoing fermentation.

Is it possible this is just the dissolved CO2 slowly coming out of the cider, left over from fermentation? Or do I need to be worried?
MrBoy
Brewer

Re: Plastic DJs keep getting hard

Postby robwalker » Fri Jan 20, 2017 14:42

Possibly Co2 but you're right to be concerned. if you're not carbonating then adding K-sorbate should stop it. Otherwise, hydrometer is the way to know I guess. what's your OG/fg and yeast?

Keeping it at 5c should remove any chance of fermentation BTW.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 16:26

Yeah keeping it cool would stall fermentation but that only delays things... When I bottle it could lead to over priming.

I'll compare gravity between the one in the house and the one in the cold garage. Though it hasn't hardened up the last couple of days so maybe it's a false alarm

via Tapatalk
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby mickthetrick » Fri Jan 20, 2017 20:11

i suspect its the Co2 coming out of suspension as the brews warmed up.
mickthetrick
Brewer

Postby PhatFil » Sat Jan 21, 2017 14:59

if no sediment is present then you can attempt to degas it with a few seal shake and undo repetitions safely.
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:54

It is quite possible that a malolactic fermentation is taking place, which sometimes happens some time after bottling perfectly clear and yeast stable wine or cider.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 16:24

It seems to have settled down after a couple or three pressure releases which suggests it was just a temperature issue. I'll keep an eye on it...

via Tapatalk
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby Jeltz » Mon Jan 30, 2017 17:26

Sorry but I can't see the title of this thread without thinking of lecherous radio presenters who've had cosmetic surgery. :P

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin