Wine rack tipping point

Discussions of interest about making wine, cider and other fermented beverages

Wine rack tipping point

Postby tonyhibbett » Sat Jan 14, 2017 14:07

Yesterday (Friday 13th!) there was a resounding crash upstairs. The door to the spare room was blocked. A stack of wine racks had crashed to the floor. Mercifully only 8 of the 92 bottles of wine were smashed, but the the tap of the barrel opposite had been hit and was leaking.
Over time, the rack at the bottom had gradually buckled under the weight of over 100 kilos, causing the stack to lean forward a few degrees. The largest rack (6 x 6) had a warning label stating that with rows exceeding 5, the rack should be secured to the wall, which I had stupidly ignored. I have rebuilt the stack with the repaired 6 x 6 at the bottom, supported with a plinth at the bottom forcing it against the wall, followed by the two 6 x 4 racks and the now empty 2 x 4 at the top, wedged against the ceiling. It is now rock steady. I tightened up the steel barrel tap. Had it been a wooden one the result would have been truly disastrous.
The floor is covered with rubber backed carpet tiles, which helped cushion the blow and prevented the wine from going through the floor boards.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Re: Wine rack tipping point

Postby oldbloke » Sat Jan 14, 2017 14:30

A salutary warning!
oldbloke

Postby Johntheeng » Sat Jan 14, 2017 16:50

My missus would have just loved that,
Johntheeng
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:41

Makes me think about my wall mounted rack in the garage!!

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Kev888 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:58

Oops! I'm glad things turned out so well, considering.

Wall fixings on free-standing racks/shelves are often just to provide a bit of horizontal stability and avoid accidental toppling. If yours need to take any significant weight off the base (to stop it buckling) then it sounds to me like a semi wall-hung design, for which the fixings would need to be quite heavy duty.

Kev
Kev888
Brewer

Postby Oldstunty » Sun Jan 15, 2017 13:17

Be mindful of wedging anything against a ceiling, as they tend to flex with the weight of people moving around above and below them.
Not much, but might be enough to cause cracks in the ceiling itself.

I enjoy a glass of wine each night for its health benefits. The other glasses are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
Oldstunty
Brewer

Postby Oldstunty » Sun Jan 15, 2017 13:17

Be mindful of wedging anything against a ceiling, as they tend to flex with the weight of people moving around above and below them.
Not much, but might be enough to cause cracks in the ceiling itself.

I enjoy a glass of wine each night for its health benefits. The other glasses are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
Oldstunty
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:50

Good point, but there is only the loft above. However, the washing machine is in the same room, and the vibrations no doubt contributed to the problem. Someone suggested using plastic bottles instead of glass to reduce weight and avoid breakage.
tonyhibbett
Brewer