Currants in my tap

Discussions of interest about making wine, cider and other fermented beverages

Currants in my tap

Postby MrBoy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 14:04

I had the most awful time yesterday trying to rack my redcurrant mead. Currants kept getting stuck in the siphon tube, when I used the tap the hole was the perfect size for a currant to get right inside and block it up, which I couldn't resolve until I took the tap off afterwards. I ended up using loads of tubes, getting my hand in the FV, rousing all the sediment when I dropped the tube in the FV, etc...

How best to avoid these problems?
MrBoy
Brewer

Re: Currants in my tap

Postby abeyptfc » Tue Jan 03, 2017 15:05

put the currants in a muslin or put a muslin bag over the end of the syphon tube?
abeyptfc
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Tue Jan 03, 2017 15:18

You could mash the fruit up in a bucket, add Campden and pour boiling water over, then add the yeast after 12-24 hours. A few days fermenting and you can strain the fruit off into a Demi John and add your honey etc.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 15:31

robwalker wrote:You could mash the fruit up in a bucket, add Campden and pour boiling water over, then add the yeast after 12-24 hours. A few days fermenting and you can strain the fruit off into a Demi John and add your honey etc.

I'd had them frozen and threw then in the water I was heating to add to the honey do they got boiled a few minutes... If thought this would make them soft and the yeast would tear then apart, but they retained their form!

Next time I think I will mash or even blend them.

I'd never thought of starting the ferment on the fruit first then adding the honey, there's not much sugar in currants.

via Tapatalk
MrBoy
Brewer