Tesco deals

Discussions of interest about making wine, cider and other fermented beverages

Tesco deals

Postby tonyhibbett » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:50

Tesco Direct have a number of half price deals on home brew. As a result I have ordered some cheap red wine kits with a view to combining them to improve the quality. The Winebuddy 30 bottle cabernet sauvignon combined with a 6 bottle elderberry kit for £16 + sugar seems worth a try and also Premium 30 bottle red plus Muntons 6 bottle cabernet sauvignon at the same cost. Normally I wouldn't buy any of them!
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Re: Tesco deals

Postby tonyhibbett » Wed Feb 22, 2017 14:11

The first batch is Winebuddy CS + country elderberry (includes some rgjc & glucose). The combination increases the fruit juice content from 20 to 30% and significantly improves colour. I added 4 kg sugar, giving sg 1090 at 23 litres, so potential abv 12% (usually 11). The 900 g elderberry kit adds 720 g of sugars to the Winebuddy. How much of this includes glucose is not stated. The elderberry concentrate does not contain much sugar. The total sugar in the compound is 76%. The plan is to rack once, omit the stabiliser and finings, and leave the wine to clear in an oak cask for a month. Cost: £19.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:17

At the moment it still tastes rather bland, so I have added the flavouring pack, which is usually added at the end. As the pack consists of fruit concentrate (in this case 285 g of red grape plus red and blackcurrant) adding at the end has a sweetening effect which is uncharacteristic of the cabernet sauvignon it attempts to imitate.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Fri Mar 03, 2017 13:55

The original pH was 3.3 and is now 3.0, so the acidity is too high. I put this down to the addition of the flavouring pack, which is high in citric acid. I added 10 g of potassium carbonate, which changed the pH to 3.4, the ideal. The must (at sg 1010) now tastes smooth but clearly deficient in tannin, so I added 3 teaspoons. The must now tastes quite respectable.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby Pakman » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:14

tonyhibbett wrote:The original pH was 3.3 and is now 3.0, so the acidity is too high. I put this down to the addition of the flavouring pack, which is high in citric acid. I added 10 g of potassium carbonate, which changed the pH to 3.4, the ideal. The must (at sg 1010) now tastes smooth but clearly deficient in tannin, so I added 3 teaspoons. The must now tastes quite respectable.

Tony, where do you get the info on what to add for what reason please? Is there a good book I should look at. I've tried a couple of wines from grapes and the resultant wine definitely needs attention.

Thanks Graham (beer brewer mostly)

If they say money cannot buy happiness - then explain motorcycles and beer! :thumb:
Pakman
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Mon Mar 13, 2017 13:09

Winemaking in Style by Gerry Fowles is the best book I've found. If using grapes, they must be fully ripened wine grapes, not dessert grapes.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:55

The Winebuddy plus elderberry has worked out quite well. It tasted good after racking. I have transferred it to the oak cask for further improvement
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:55

Stage 2 combines the Munton premium red 30 bottle kit with the 6 bottle cabernet sauvignon kit. This only boosts the juice ingredient to a mere 1 litre per gallon, but I've had quite good results from the basic kit after a spell in oak.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Mon Mar 05, 2018 14:10

I had forgotten about the Winebuddy cab sauv + elderberry experiment. After 10 months in oak, it's pretty good and significantly better than the basic kit. In fact it actually tastes like cabernet sauvignon, although not exactly top of the range claret!
tonyhibbett
Brewer