Too much Sod Met in cider?

Making wine, cider or something interesting, show us how you did it here.

Too much Sod Met in cider?

Postby bbslaw » Thu Oct 01, 2015 19:22

I've always used sodium metabisulphate powder instead of Campden tablets because it's all I could get when I first started (don't use a lot!). On Monday I pressed a load of apples and got 16 litres of juice. Using my calculation that 1 level teaspoon of sod met = 10 campden tablets and 1 tablet per gallon, I added about 3/4 of a tsp. Now I can't think why I came up with this amount and think I've added waaay too much. I added my yeast yesterday evening and nothing's happening after 24 hours. I suppose I should have added about a third of a tsp for just over 3 gallons. Anyway, given that I've added too much, what will happen, and what should I do? Will the yeast eventually pick up? Should I add more yeast for luck? I'm off on holiday on Sat, so it's going to be left to its own devices for a week. Would be happier going knowing it's started fermenting.
Any thoughts?
bbslaw
Brewer

Re: Too much Sod Met in cider?

Postby Dave1970 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 20:00

I'd be inclined to pitch more yeast if you have it, maybe leave it until Saturday morning to give the sulphite levels a chance to drop as much as you can

Brewing: Cider 2015
Conditioning: AG#21Branxholme Bitter
Drinking: C ider 2014,AG#15 Stellar Tortoise II, AG#19 All at C
Dave1970
Brewer

Postby bbslaw » Fri Oct 02, 2015 14:30

Thanks Dave, will try that. We're off pretty early in the morning, so I'll have to repitch tonight. Fingers crossed.
bbslaw
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Fri Oct 02, 2015 21:07

Maybe plenty of agitation will speed the decay of the sod met to sulphur dioxide and get that gas released from the juice.
Then the original yeast may wake up, but pitching more can't hurtvand may be necessary
oldbloke

Postby robwalker » Fri Oct 02, 2015 23:35

Bit of vitamin will help too, such as tomato paste, marmite, or the proper thing
robwalker
Brewer

Postby bbslaw » Tue Oct 13, 2015 08:55

It's finally started fermenting after 2 weeks and 3 sachets of yeast. I gave it a couple of good stirs over the weekend and I think that might have help drive the SO2 off. Thanks for your advice. Will be careful with the sod met next time! :oops:
bbslaw
Brewer