Cider Day

Making wine, cider or something interesting, show us how you did it here.

Cider Day

Postby Dave1970 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 22:39

Did this the weekend before last, I've just been mad busy and not managed to post until now

Lots of apples this year..

and an upgrade, a proper, purpose built scratter instead of the garden shredder I've used for the last 3 years. Seriously speeded things up, with the shredder any decent sized apples had to be cut in half, this took them whole, and by the bucket load.4

as with all the best cider days a bit of child labour helps things move along - this was the first year that she actually was a help, really got a production line going. Now I can scrat a lot quicker the 12 litre press wasn't really big enough - think I'll be building a larger bottle jack powered press before next year.

about 110 litres tucked away and ready to ferment. The big 60 litre barrel has been sulphited and had 2 packs of Mangrove Jack's cider yeast added. All the rest is wild ferment, although to help make sure it's a good wild ferment I made a starter from last year's wild ferment that went into the 2 fermenters on the shelf. I know this was a decent wild yeast and it should have some MLF bacteria in it too

All bubbling away nicely now! :thumb:

Brewing: Cider 2015
Conditioning: AG#21Branxholme Bitter
Drinking: C ider 2014,AG#15 Stellar Tortoise II, AG#19 All at C
Dave1970
Brewer

Re: Cider Day

Postby Joe1002 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 23:42

Looks awesome, well done. :thumb:

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Joe1002

Postby calumscott » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:50

:party: (that's gonna stink when it gets going! :lol: )
calumscott
Admin

Postby Dave1970 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:13

calumscott wrote::party: (that's gonna stink when it gets going! :lol: )

Not too bad at the moment! I've found that the wild ferment is less inclined to bad smells than some bought yeasts. Looking back at my notes from a couple of years ago I've noted strong sulphur smell during ferment and that strange boiled ham that comes off some cider ferments. The notes for the wild ferment just say "pleasant appley smell throughout fermentation"

Brewing: Cider 2015
Conditioning: AG#21Branxholme Bitter
Drinking: C ider 2014,AG#15 Stellar Tortoise II, AG#19 All at C
Dave1970
Brewer