First ever brew a TC

Making wine, cider or something interesting, show us how you did it here.

First ever brew a TC

Postby Truffle Shuffle » Sun Apr 26, 2015 18:56

So got my first ever brew on today ! - a turbo cider in DJ. All Seemed ok so fingers crossed it'll be alright. It's currently sat in spare bed blipping away, gonna move it to under stairs tomorrow where it's a steady 20 degrees day an night.

If I get time tonight I may get the coopers Canadian blonde on the go. I'm dying to start it !
Truffle Shuffle
Brewer

Re: First ever brew a TC

Postby Bad 'Ed » Sun Apr 26, 2015 19:19

Good luck with it, hope it tastes good!

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby ryanshelton » Sun Apr 26, 2015 20:06

Well done! What was your original gravity?

I used to have a handle on life. Then it broke!

http://www.chilstonbrewers.co.uk

www.thehomebrewfestival.co.uk ------ get booked!!!
ryanshelton
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Sun Apr 26, 2015 23:04

I never bother with gravity readings for a TC. If it's all standard juice it'll be 5 to 5.5% ABV, if it's one of my Suma concentrate versions, about 1% more.
2 more for a christmas/birthday special!
oldbloke

Postby Truffle Shuffle » Mon Apr 27, 2015 20:37

First ever go at reading one but I think it was 1.044 does that sound about right?
Truffle Shuffle
Brewer

Postby Truffle Shuffle » Mon Apr 27, 2015 20:41

Yes it was standard juice. I'd read that it should come out about 5-6% and I think that's strong enough so didn't add any more sugar. Gonna add 1.5 tsp cane sugar per 500ml bottle along with a different quantities of sweetner to taste test.
Truffle Shuffle
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Mon Apr 27, 2015 20:54

yep sounds right. sounds like you've got your head screwed on! now, good luck leaving them alone for long enough... ;)
robwalker
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Mon Apr 27, 2015 21:31

I reckon 1tsp is enough for priming
oldbloke

Postby Truffle Shuffle » Tue Apr 28, 2015 09:48

oldbloke wrote:I reckon 1tsp is enough for priming

Yeah I think you're probably right. How long do folks usually leave this stuff before trying? I was gonna leave it warm for 2 weeks in the bottle then cold for about 4 weeks?
Truffle Shuffle
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:00

I'll be honest, and some will disagree, but i found turbo cider ready pretty much after carbonating. It drops clear very quickly because the juice is already filtered, and i found it improved over time but not that massively, so I'd happily drink it after a week in the warm and a couple in the cool if possible. Just me tho!
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Truffle Shuffle » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:27

Sorry, you can ignore that last post, just seen your 'how to' guide ! very well done by the way. i think i've read it before actually.

Rob, cheers for that - i'll try one after a couple of wk in the cold and see what i think. to be honest i can drink just about anything and enjoy trying different things. (not that i'm an alki i just like a couple of beers a night - don't drink tea or coffee you see). Funny tho, lately i've been drinking hobgoblin, speckled hen, two hoots and the like and when i had a stella lately it seemed tasteless ! i daren't even try a fosters lol !
Truffle Shuffle
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:35

How long depends on the exact recipe. It needs time to carbonate, but for some that's all it needs - though it does tend to improve if left.
I've had a few that were a bit on the sharp side when very young, but not excessively so. A couple of weeks makes a big difference, another couple a bit more.
I always try a bottle after 2weeks warm 2 weekscold even if I have other stock. Just to see what it's like. Often it's fine (and they're always drinkable), sometimes I think, give it another fortnight.
oldbloke

Postby Truffle Shuffle » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:57

oldbloke wrote:How long depends on the exact recipe. It needs time to carbonate, but for some that's all it needs - though it does tend to improve if left.
I've had a few that were a bit on the sharp side when very young, but not excessively so. A couple of weeks makes a big difference, another couple a bit more.
I always try a bottle after 2weeks warm 2 weekscold even if I have other stock. Just to see what it's like. Often it's fine (and they're always drinkable), sometimes I think, give it another fortnight.

Cheers oldbloke,

Yeah, i'll have to try one when carbonated i won't be able to resist ! i'm gonna need to get a lot more brews on, so I can leave some to condition for a good few months as a taste experiment, might even try a hopped one. i can see it being a never ending question of 'i wonder what it'll taste like next month' !
Truffle Shuffle
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Tue Apr 28, 2015 18:12

If doing TC one demijohn at a time, after bottling, instead of cleaning it out just dump more juice in. You can do that maybe 3 times before the yeast mutates or something else gets a chance to grow.

Not that I've tried this myself, you understand....
oldbloke

Postby Truffle Shuffle » Tue Apr 28, 2015 22:13

That's great advice I didn't know you could do that. ! I'll try that plus get my other djs on the go. Also need to start my can.blonde kit just need some spare time, got 3 kids and most definitely got a SWMBO !
Truffle Shuffle
Brewer

Postby Truffle Shuffle » Wed May 06, 2015 18:07

Ok, racked the cider from dj1 into dj2. Tasted it and although flat was very nice, dry and sharp how I like cider. Kept the trub as suggested and dumped in 4L apple and .5L apple mango passion juice. Added nutrients etc shook it all up and its off like a rocket again. Cheers for the advice OB. can't wait to bottle and carbonate it !
Truffle Shuffle
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Wed May 06, 2015 18:25

yep, doesnt take much to get going when you dump it on a yeast cake!
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Truffle Shuffle » Sat Jun 06, 2015 15:16

So the TC has been in the bottle for just about 2 weeks. Most of it has gone ! It's just too nice ! It's already well carbonated and although I know that it will get better with age it's just not going to happen! So I've bought another 23L apple juice to make a bigger batch.
Was thinking of using a good yeast like WL775 (?) Do you think thats ok or should I just stick to cheapo wine yeast?
Truffle Shuffle
Brewer