New brewer needs advice on Beaverdale kit fermentation

Making wine, cider or something interesting, show us how you did it here.

New brewer needs advice on Beaverdale kit fermentation

Postby Steve the newbrew » Sun Jan 18, 2015 13:55

Hi all,

I could really do with some advice. I have started my journey into home brew wine kits with the Beaverdale Rojo Tinto kit. It has been going a week now and the air lock has never really started to pop at any real rated at all and now it seems to have slowed right up to nearly stopped.
I gather that the best way of knowing what is really happening is to take a measurement with my hydrometer. I couldn't get an accurate reading of the starting gravity because the surface had a layer of bubbles so couldn't read it. If I am wanting to take a reading am I better taking some wine out into a sample tube? If so how do I best do this as I am terrified of infecting the wine with something not being sterilised enough.
Please help because I feel like my first kit is now spoilt. :cry:
Steve the newbrew
Brewer

Re: New brewer needs advice on Beaverdale kit fermentation

Postby GAZ9053 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 15:39

I wouldn`t worry about the airlock, have you got a tap on your fermenter? have you got a turkey baster? It wont be fully complete after a week so no big panic.

First BIAB 15.03.15
First Grainfather 22.12.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 16:05

I get rather lazy and just disinfect my hands, hydrometer and round the lid then just drop it in. but you could use a turkey baster and tube.

In fact I've now gone from pretty lazy to completely lazy and leave the hydrometer in for the duration although i give it at least two weeks before checking.

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby GAZ9053 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 16:35

krazypara3165 wrote:I get rather lazy and just disinfect my hands, hydrometer and round the lid then just drop it in. but you could use a turkey baster and tube.

In fact I've now gone from pretty lazy to completely lazy and leave the hydrometer in for the duration although i give it at least two weeks before checking.

Hope ya don't get lazier you won't even bother making it :D :D

First BIAB 15.03.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer

Postby Steve the newbrew » Sun Jan 18, 2015 17:10

Cheers for your comments guys. Guess I should only worry when I taste it then. ;-)
Steve the newbrew
Brewer

Postby GAZ9053 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 17:18

I leave mine 2 weeks before I bother checking FG, rack it to clean FV, leave another week, then stabilise and add finings. Another week or so and bottle once clear.

First BIAB 15.03.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer

Postby bobsbeer » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:42

No need to rush things. Just leave it alone for a few weeks, or even a couple of months. I don't check the SG during fermentation any more. I just leave it for a month or two and then rack it. The temperature where you have your FV is a big determinant on the speed of fermentation. Around 18-20 is good. but it takes longer than a week to ferment, so don't go by instructions saying do this on day X. Know why you are doing it, and do it when it needs doing. But wine is very forgiving, and the more time you give it the better the wine.
bobsbeer
Brewer

Postby Steve the newbrew » Mon Jan 19, 2015 14:14

I used the turkey baster and tube and it is measuring 996. Should I rack it at 990?
Steve the newbrew
Brewer

Postby GAZ9053 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 17:20

I would just to get it off the lees, i know bob leaves it longer on the lees than I do.

First BIAB 15.03.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer