Infection in fermenter

Making wine, cider or something interesting, show us how you did it here.

Infection in fermenter

Postby beer buddah » Sat Dec 27, 2014 21:41

Looks like my first infection after 30 or so brews. :doh: I brewed a porter split it into two batches one with liquid yeast and one with powder to see if i could tell the diffarence.

Both in fermentation fridges 20.5 C for two weeks. Main work was done in first 3-4 days so nothing out of the ordinary. T

The glass fermenter has two inch cloudy white ish layer on top and the bottom part black. I sampled the black and it tasted and smelled spot on but top layer was very acidic not nice at all but not much auroma :scratch:
beer buddah
Brewer

Re: Infection in fermenter

Postby Pjam » Sat Dec 27, 2014 22:31

30 clean brews! that's good going. I had one go bad recently and it was my 13th brew! Strange though, my infection was unmistakable, stank terrible, no need to taste it. You couldn't get near it.

I guess there's more than one way for things to go bad though.
Pjam
Brewer

Postby beer buddah » Sat Dec 27, 2014 22:46

Ye its a weird one for sure. Both sanitized same way and i over sanitize if its possible. The airlock had dried up on the infected one but with the C02 in fermenter i cant see how anything could have gotten up the blow off tube into beer. I did test gravity after 1 week but everthing i used was sanitized.

I would have expected that the beer would have been aweful too. I did keg the bottom part just too see what happens. i have a photo on phone but says its too big when i try upload
beer buddah
Brewer

Postby Pjam » Sat Dec 27, 2014 22:50

beer buddah wrote: i have a photo on phone but says its too big when i try upload

Yeah, that can happen. You can either reduce the size or send it to a host site (like photobucket) and link to here ;)
Pjam
Brewer

Postby beer buddah » Sat Dec 27, 2014 22:57

Im on the job....whats password photobucket....erghhhh
beer buddah
Brewer

Postby beer buddah » Sat Dec 27, 2014 23:02

beer buddah
Brewer

Postby beer buddah » Sat Dec 27, 2014 23:04

This helps. yeast on bottom looks like normal. Just that layer on top its not oily or higher viscosity due to sugars or anything. Just acidic and sickly but rest tastes fine.
beer buddah
Brewer

Postby supersteve » Sat Dec 27, 2014 23:13

That looks interesting, I'm sure someone will tell you what it is but I've never seen anything like that. Though I do wonder as I have plastic fermenters I'd probably miss something like this.
supersteve
Brewer

Postby Pjam » Sat Dec 27, 2014 23:17

Good job on photobucket, you may find it handy ;)

But the beer, that IS strange ...... I've not seen anything like that before! Can't help thinking that if it tastes OK then maybe it IS Ok! But that is odd looking. I'm gonna wait for other comments :whistle:
Pjam
Brewer

Postby beer buddah » Sat Dec 27, 2014 23:24

I suppose we should add that if anyone knows what this might be it is not an admission of that person having an infection in there beer ever.

I should have kept the top part but i was in a hurry and on reflection could have got ph and maybe few other test. But im sure some of it is in the keg. Checked google photos but no joy most infection look bad but this not so obviously bad. I has chilled the beer over two days to 4c before kegging.
beer buddah
Brewer

Postby beer buddah » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:54

Just an update. I sampled pint from keg and found nothing to make me feel issue in keg. I might open keg to see if there is a layer on top as in fermenter.
beer buddah
Brewer

Postby GrahamT » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:49

Looking at the photo, this looks quite like a minor disaster I had a few months back. I crash chilled a 3 litre starter with the blow off tube still attached and it sucked a load of sanitiser from the blow off bottle into the vessel as the pressures changed. It looked very much like what you have there, sat at the top in a layer. You say it tasted acidic on top, but may not have affected some of the beer underneath. It would make sense...

Your 'airlock' (which I think you're saying was a blow off tube set up) was dry on the 'infected' batch, but I am wondering if there is any way the temperature dropped while you still had the blow off attached and the sanitiser/airlock fluid got pulled in?

Busy in the Summer House Brewery
GrahamT
Brewer

Postby beer buddah » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:45

Your spot on i think. :notworthy: Genius.

It did not notice the layer ontop before i crash cooled. The cooling process must have pulled it back into fermenter as you mentioned.

I did think it looked like a fermenter i had filled with water and 5star...let sit for day or two and it layers similar to my infected one.

Murphys Law !
beer buddah
Brewer

Postby beer buddah » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:47

It all makes sense now. I usual remove blow off tube and replace with normal air lock when primary fermentation is complete but forgot this time.
beer buddah
Brewer