7 Gallon Elderberry, Blackberry and Prune Wine

Making wine, cider or something interesting, show us how you did it here.

7 Gallon Elderberry, Blackberry and Prune Wine

Postby Robbo » Mon Sep 22, 2014 19:31

Hi everyone....been out of the country for a while. I've been helping an old buddy of mine with a security contract. I have spent the last week foraging for berries and I have enough for a 7 gallon Elderberry, Blackberry and Prune wine.

Have a look at my recipe and give me your thoughts.

6.35 KG or 14 lbs of Elderberries
3.175 KG or 7 lbs of Blackberries
4 x 410 g of tinned Prunes with syrup
8 KG of Sugar
7 crushed Campden Tablets
5 Tsps of Pectrolase
5 Tsps of Citric Acid
1 Tsp of Tannin
7 Tsps of Yeast Nutrient
2 Sachets of Gervin GV4 yeast.

After fermenting on the pulp, I'm going to add another Sachet of Gervin as I think a lot of my yeast colony may be held back in the pulp.

After working out the sugar in the fruit and the sugar to be added, I think my wine will come out at around 16% ABV.

I have my berries in a fermenting tub defrosting at the moment and would appreciate any feed back.

Thanks Guys :thumb:
Robbo
Brewer

Re: 7 Gallon Elderberry, Blackberry and Prune Wine

Postby BrewWoo » Mon Sep 22, 2014 22:22

Why so much sugar?
BrewWoo
Brewer

Postby Robbo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 17:31

The extra sugar is to push the yeast up to around the 16% range. I'm going to ferment on the pulp for 15 days, stirring twice a day. My next idea is to split the must into three amounts.
The first amount I'm keeping as a wine the second portion is to be fortified with Brandy and the last I'm going to push the yeast in stages and try to reach the 20 to 22 % abv.
Robbo
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Tue Sep 23, 2014 17:41

beastly. good choice on the low tannin, elderberry should supply that in abundance.

Your port won't be very full bodied - you have 3lbs of fruit per gallon and I would use at least 5lb, maybe 7lb (but not 7lb elderberry! lol god, I couldn't imagine) so I would suggest racking onto some red wine enhancer or some juice for those two. With that quantity of fruit, it's more like a table red in terms of body.

Just a suggestion - I'm sure whatever you do, you'll have a great wine at the end.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Robbo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 07:56

My fermenting tub is full to the top with a small head space so adding more fruit isn't an option ...... I'll have to go down the red wine enhancer route.

This is the first time I have made such a large volume of elderberry and blackberry wine in one go. How much wine enhancer should I use.
Robbo
Brewer

Postby Robbo » Thu Sep 25, 2014 16:55

I've been out to Wilko's today and grabbed 2 bottles of Red Grape Concentrate.....should be enough for the 2 gallons I'm going to step feed with sugar.

Thanks for the advice Rob
Robbo
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Thu Sep 25, 2014 17:05

Great - should improve the body a bit! good luck mate!
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Robbo » Thu Sep 25, 2014 19:59

Thanks Rob, I really appreciate your help
Robbo
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 23:40

I'll be honest and say that for the three gallons of blackberry that I intend to do I bought a beaver dale 6 bottle wine kit as it was cheaper than grape concentrate.

I was quite shocked at how expensive concentrate had become. . . But then it's 20 years since I made any wine. :shock:

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby robwalker » Fri Sep 26, 2014 18:59

Not a problem mate. Hope you decide to stay - there's a lot of friendly people on here!
robwalker
Brewer