My First Turbo Cider - Help with SG

Making wine, cider or something interesting, show us how you did it here.

My First Turbo Cider - Help with SG

Postby Raptor » Fri Aug 22, 2014 15:24

Today I've finally put on my first TC.

I used 1 bottle Suma Apple concentrate - topped up to 3.5 litres mark with water, then added 1 tsb tannin and 1 tsb of nutrient. I used the Lalvin lalvin k1-v1116 yeast as this is the only yeast I have left.

Once the primary fermentation has calmed down (4-5 days), I intend to top up with 1 litre of princes apple and raspberry and half litre of basic apple juice.

Currently at the 3.5 litres, I have a SG of 1.054. What I can't work out is what the SG would be if I added the litre of apple and raspberry (which has a sugar content of 101 gm/litre ) and the half litre of apple.

Can anyone please help me work out the combined SG so I know roughly what to expect?

:cheers1:
Raptor
Brewer

Re: My First Turbo Cider - Help with SG

Postby maggs » Fri Aug 22, 2014 15:27

Check out this post. It should help you out, I've used it a few times when making juice wines to work out what the OG is for the full gallon and not just the 3.5l I'm starting with to avoid the wine escaping from the demijohn.
maggs
Brewer

Postby Raptor » Fri Aug 22, 2014 16:19

maggs wrote:Check out this post. It should help you out, I've used it a few times when making juice wines to work out what the OG is for the full gallon and not just the 3.5l I'm starting with to avoid the wine escaping from the demijohn.

very good thanks Maggs. I worked it out at 1.043 for 5 litres.
Raptor
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Fri Aug 22, 2014 17:22

I can't be bothered with arithmetic, I just add up all my sugars, get a gm/l value, and check the table at http://www.brsquared.org/wine/CalcInfo/HydSugAl.htm
oldbloke

Postby Raptor » Fri Aug 22, 2014 19:33

I hear you OB - it was really just some education as to what ABV I would expect given the juices and differing times I was using them at. The taste is far more important and thanks for your guide/base receipe.

On another topic - where are you getting your Suma from? I bought 6 from Amazon but there must be better places?
Raptor
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Fri Aug 22, 2014 23:00

Yes, with Amazon you've got awful p&p on top of a not always great price.
Your nearest hippyfood shop will almost certainly deal with Suma. Mine gets deliveries on Thursdays (at least). Buying a pack of 6 bottles (500ml non-organic, why pay the extra?) gets me 10% off list. Once when I was doing a big batch I bought the 5l poly, better value but it only keeps a couple of months tops even in the fridge so you need to be using it. If you're within striking distance of Sowerby Bridge you could get it from their warehouse shop.
oldbloke

Postby Raptor » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:06

will have to find a hippyfood place near me. Shame Holland and Barrett don't stock this as that's my nearest without having to drive miles (and in that case Amazon is preferable!)
Raptor
Brewer