finally got around to some brewing

Making wine, cider or something interesting, show us how you did it here.

finally got around to some brewing

Postby teenage kicks » Sun Aug 03, 2014 15:30

ok, after the relocation i had no equipment here, so after a visit from the uk i got a few bits and bobs, pectolaze, citric acid, cambden, and sodium meta/pot sorb, and a couple of sachets of yeast

so, 2 litre of grape, 4 litre of orange, 4 kilos of sugar, tea for tanin, bit of citric and a bit or pectic and we are away

having bought all the ingredients and being keen to get started i forgot to check on something

bugger no airlocks, so, a bit of garden hose, some insulation tape, and a stanley knife resulted in this, something that looks like it has come from a mad scientists lab,

presure checked it by blowing into the end in the small bottle and i cant get any puff through so it should just about do

anyway, yest goes in later when its all cooled down and away we go., oh and yes thats the strawberry/bread yeast one i put on a little while ago, its still going strong..
Attachments
2014-08-03-162212.jpg
2014-08-03-162212.jpg (178.14 KiB) Viewed 557 times
teenage kicks
Brewer

Re: finally got around to some brewing

Postby PhatFil » Sun Aug 03, 2014 16:16

Nice blow off tube, but if one goes mad, it could dump some yeast into the next bottle, not a biggy if its all the same tho ;) only mentioning it so your aware..

1st batch of many i hope, if you get stuck for familiar supplies im sure a few people here would be up for a postal exchange of goods you can source that we cant get in the uk so easily..

Cheers..
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby Moley » Sun Aug 03, 2014 16:22

PhatFil wrote:Nice blow off tube, but if one goes mad, it could dump some yeast into the next bottle

At those initial fill levels that's not going to happen.

Clever solution to the problem :clap:
Moley

Postby teenage kicks » Sun Aug 03, 2014 18:19

thanks both, yeast here doesn't seem to be a problem but chemicals are very hard to come by, found out that you need a licence to buy certain things

also yes they are all the same so dropping from one to the next isn't a problem

temprature felt about right so yeast has been plunged, now its the waiting game

and thanks moley, appreciate your input

edit to add, that sounded quite rude on re reading, was meant in the honest genuine way it reads
teenage kicks
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 20:14

Looking good! Rather inventive!

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink