Rice Wine.

Making wine, cider or something interesting, show us how you did it here.

Re: Rice Wine.

Postby bobsbeer » Mon Jul 07, 2014 22:27

Carbohydrate Jim. I think anyway.
bobsbeer
Brewer

Postby Brewtrog » Mon Jul 07, 2014 23:33

Yup, carbohydrate - basically anything from simple sugars to massive length starch (and similar).
Brewtrog
Brewer

Postby EvansTheSteam » Mon Jul 07, 2014 23:49

Yes, that is pretty straight forward, but where do the figures and the maths come from?

Evanvine Brewery
EvansTheSteam
Steam Age Brewer

Postby Brewtrog » Tue Jul 08, 2014 00:09

The assumption that all the carbs are starch and all the starch is converted, both of which are rather large assumptions, but it's always better to think you have something stronger than you do and treat it with respect, rather than have something stronger than you think and necking it.

Edit
As I pointed out when I suggested it, it's an extremely rough guess, but it gives a starting point, unless someone has an actual answer.
Brewtrog
Brewer

Postby Gambler » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:12

The figure is just a bit of fun really, dont take it too seriously. The only thing that can be taken from it is that its the maximum alcohol content it could theoretically have.

its ment to finish sweet, so its got enough sugar, the final alcohol content is going to be based pretty much completly on the alcohol tollerence of the yeast.
Gambler
Brewer

Postby EvansTheSteam » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:57

I was interested in the theory, it's one I've not come across.

Evanvine Brewery
EvansTheSteam
Steam Age Brewer

Postby Gambler » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:10

I see

sugar per 50ml is a common way to estimate abv of turbo cider.

everything else in the calculations is guesswork

I guessed that I would end up with 3l of liquid and I guessed that all the carbohydrates would convert to an equal amount of sugar, then divided 3000ml by 50 to find out how many 50ml I had (60) then divided my total guesstamated sugar by 60 to pull a figure out my ass lol.
Gambler
Brewer

Postby EvansTheSteam » Tue Jul 08, 2014 13:44

To my way of thinking; 100g sugar/ltr (10%) would give a gravity of 1.036
If this fermented out to 1.000 it would give an ABV of c. 4.8%

Evanvine Brewery
EvansTheSteam
Steam Age Brewer

Postby Gambler » Tue Jul 08, 2014 16:40

100g sugar in 1l = 5g per 50ml, so 5% in my method.

So I guess this method is 4% out, which is close enough for me lol.

It’s nice when your comparing juice in a supermarket, because the nutritional information tends to be given in per 100ml, so you just half the sugar on that, and your good to go.

If I use your method (which I acknowledge is the correct way) to predict the abv, then I get 24.3% vs my quick and dirty prediction of 25.3%.
Gambler
Brewer

Postby EvansTheSteam » Tue Jul 08, 2014 19:46

Not a million miles out!
+ you are probably nearer the mark as the FG will be below 1.000

Evanvine Brewery
EvansTheSteam
Steam Age Brewer

Postby Gambler » Wed Jul 09, 2014 17:01

day 12 pic

More liquid!

Smells even fruitier now.
Gambler
Brewer

Postby Gambler » Thu Jul 17, 2014 16:11

Day 20 pic

Probably doesn’t look that different from the last time to be honest. It’s still producing lots of co2. I tried to get a pic of the bubbles going through the liquid, but it wasn’t happening.

This will be harvested tomorrow, as day 21 is meant to be a good time to harvest.

The plan is to dump the entire contents into a jug lined with a nylon cheese cloth type thing, then strain the cheese cloth until all liquid is gone, then repeat with the other 3 jars. I want to get the whole lot in my big glass jug so I get an even product, but depends on yield I guess. I will then bottle 2 grolsch bottles worth with the cloudy rice wine, and put the rest back into a clean and sanitised jar.

Both the jar of rice wine, and the bottles of rice wine will then be pasteurised (or at least I'll give it a go, never bothered getting a big pot so could be interesting). The jar of rice wine will then go into the fridge to settle out and clear, and the cloudy bottles will be ready to be consumed straight away.

Apparently this has a habit of both continuing to ferment for a long time, and turning into vinegar if not pasteurised or not consumed in a short period of time. Some just bottle cloudy and burb the bottles every few days, but I plan to have a cloudy vs clear taste test with some friends at some point, so I want it to hang around for a bit.
Gambler
Brewer

Postby divingdavey » Sun Jul 20, 2014 14:52

How do you go about pasteurising it?
divingdavey
Brewer

Postby Gambler » Mon Jul 21, 2014 00:06

Well. As it would go, I had a lazy couple of days, so I'm currently doing it right this second.

Basically, I hold the wine at in excess of 160f for 10mins. In practice this means putting the jar of whatever your looking to pasteurise into a pot of water (with something stopping it from touching the bottom!). Try to keep some kind of lid on it. a fully sealed lid would be nice, but then your risking explosions, so I just used my mason jars with the rubber seals removed, that way, most the liquid will condense on the lid and fall back in, whilst preventing a pressure build up (IMO at least). when the jar feels too hot to touch, pop open the lid and take the temp. If its at 160f or above, pop the rubber seal back on, then I kept the stove on for 5 mins, then turned it off for 5 mins, then left it on a rack to cool.

Anyway, yield was pretty good. I have 1.75 grolch bottles of cloudy liquid, and 2 4/5s full 1.5l mason jars full of liquid destined to go into the fridge to clear.

I've had a sneaky taste of the 0.75 fully bottle. It’s damn strong, very sweet, fruity and not like anything I've drunk before. I'm recovering from a heavy cold right now (in this weather I know) so I'll reserve judgement until I'm fully fit. It’s defiantly different though, I can tell you that.

note - I, in no way claim my methods are safe or in anyway sensible
Gambler
Brewer

Postby divingdavey » Wed Jul 30, 2014 15:01

That's great thanks :notworthy:

Would some screwed up tin foil be good to keep the vessel away from the bottom of the pan?
divingdavey
Brewer

Postby BrewWoo » Wed Jul 30, 2014 16:12

divingdavey wrote:That's great thanks :notworthy:

Would some screwed up tin foil be good to keep the vessel away from the bottom of the pan?

A couple of pebbles, balls of foil, marbles (glass) will work.
BrewWoo
Brewer

Postby Gambler » Mon Aug 04, 2014 16:32

I had another try of this last night. I've decided that I really am not a fan.

It seams like a popular product at the other place, so I'm going to go with the very high temperatures as being the problem. either that, or its just not for me.

I've still got the bulk of it in the fridge. I'll still bottle it, and give it another try in a few months. Or maybe I'll try mixing it first.
Gambler
Brewer

Previous