Sparkling Elderflower and Lychee Wine

Making wine, cider or something interesting, show us how you did it here.

Sparkling Elderflower and Lychee Wine

Postby alanywiseman » Fri May 30, 2014 12:20

ABout a year ago I made a lychee wine using THIS recipe. The wine fermented out and elderflowers were added as a 'dry hop'. It was late in the season so I did not get enough so will be adding some cordial to it as well. It was racked into clean DJs where the yeast was left to settle out and has been left like this. In that time the yeast has begun to autolysis (which is what I wanted) and so I plan to bottle it up this weekend.

Here is the plan: I will rack the 3 DJs I have into a bucket and add 1L elderflower cordial (500mls at a time to check it does not overpower the lychee) plus enough sugar so that I have 16g/l total (4atm of CO2) plus some yeast nutrient. A fresh sachet of GV High Alchol yeast will be rehydrated then I will double the volume of the rehydrated yeast with the primed wine. I will leave this till I have signs of fermentation then do it again so I build a 1L starter (this will probably take about 24 hours). Hopefully the yeast will now be accustomed to the alcohol environment and I can add the starter to the primed wine and bottle.

I am still to decide if I am going to crown cap or plastic stopper and wire the bottle for secondary fermention. The bottle will be left for 2/3 months upright before being inverted for about 6 month to prepare them to be disgorged :?

Does this sound like a resonable plan to insure secondary fermentaion? All input welcome :thumb:
alanywiseman
Brewer

Re: Sparkling Elderflower and Lychee Wine

Postby alanywiseman » Sun Jun 01, 2014 23:01

So I just went ahead with my plan. I rehydrated the yeast. While that was happening I racked the wines into one bucket and added 500ml elderflower cordial which I thought was enough. Accounting for the sugar in the elderflower I primed with 16g/l of sugar and added 3g of nutrient and citric acid. There was loads of CO2 in solution due to the yeast autolysis
The second picture was taken after adding the nutrient as a powder. By this point the yeast (gervin GV4 high alcohol yeast) had rehydrated in 50ml of water
So I doubled the volume of liquid using the primes wine and left it for about 5 hours and then had this.
So the volume was upped to 250ml and left then 500ml and then finally 1000ml over the course of about 30hours. After bing left to show signs of fermentation at 1000ml it was added to the wine and bottled. Ended up with 19.5 bottles all capped with 29mm crown caps.
They will be left for 1-2 months for secondary fermentation then inverted to allow the yeast to settle in the cap in perpetration for disgorgement ( is that a word?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alanywiseman
Brewer

Postby godfrey » Mon Jun 02, 2014 02:45

nice job :thumb:

I was a bit worried about my port being on the lees for the last 8 months

but after reading this thread I am happy,

the only thing pushing me to rack it

is I want to get another brew on.... :rofl:
godfrey
Brewer

Postby alanywiseman » Mon Jun 02, 2014 15:19

My yeast had definitely started to go through autolysis but from what I have read this is wanted in champagne. It adds to the flavour an complexity. I don't think you will be able to detect it your port thou has the flavour will e too strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alanywiseman
Brewer

Postby godfrey » Mon Jun 02, 2014 15:34

I was more concerned for spoilage on the lees

now I see from reading about autolysis it will not hurt

I may not see any benefit, but it should not spoil my product
godfrey
Brewer