Turbo Cider Three Ways: First Go!

Making wine, cider or something interesting, show us how you did it here.

Turbo Cider Three Ways: First Go!

Postby GrahamT » Tue May 20, 2014 17:21

I should be brewing from grain again next week, but in the meantime I'm dry hopping a Wherry kit and thought I'd do these three Turbo Ciders. Inspired by Oldbloke's How To, it would be rude not to give them a go! I'm taking advantage of the warm room temperatures, seeing that the brew fridge has the Wherry in it.

On the left is 3L Sainsbury standard AJ from concentrate (to top up to 4.5L late), 0.5L Ocean Spray Cranberry drink (25% juice), Ritchies wine yeast

In the middle: 3L Sainsbury AJ (topping up later), 0.5L Ocean Spray Cranberry drink, Lallemand Nottingham ale yeast

On the right: already 3 days on, 4L Aldi standard AJ from concentrate, 0.5L OJ, Ritchies wine yeast

All have 2 rounded tsp tannin powder and some nutrient in.

I will be interested to see how they vary.

Busy in the Summer House Brewery
GrahamT
Brewer

Re: Turbo Cider Three Ways: First Go!

Postby oldbloke » Tue May 20, 2014 17:41

Graham wrote:I will be interested to see how they vary.

So will I!
That's a touch more tannin than I usually use, want to know how it comes out for 'bite'
And how well the OJ works (or doesn't...)
oldbloke

Postby jkp » Tue May 20, 2014 18:00

Yesterday I tried the first bottles of a 2 way cider test. 5L of TC split in half at the first racking, one half dry hopped with 3g of cascade the other 50g of sliced dried cranberries.

The citrus of the cascade was great, while the dried cranberries gave a slight depth to the flavour and added smoothness. Both good but the cascade version was my fav.

Very interested to see how the orange works out for you.

jkp
Brewer

Postby GrahamT » Mon Jun 02, 2014 16:08

A quick update on these, 13 days on:

After vigorous fermentation in all three, they are each at different stages of clarity/haze. All have been stood in the same spot throughout.

DJ with App/Cranb/wine yeast is almost clear, though still with visible tiny bubbles rising.

App/Cranb/Notty is more hazy, has a similarly tiny amount of activity still visible, but is notably clearing quicker than...

App/Orange/wine yeast is not clear at all, despite there being no activity visible at all for a few days (it was pitched 3 days ahead of the others, fwiw). There's a nice thick, tight layer of yeast at the bottom, but the cider is very murky top to bottom. Could this be a pectin haze? I didn't add any Pectolase in any of them.

In the end, it will simply be the hydrometer that tells me whether they've finished or not, looking for stable readings. But I am a little bothered by the lack of clarity in the OJ version, when the other two are clearing so well, including the one with the same yeast.

GrahamT
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Mon Jun 02, 2014 21:53

Could well be the orange.
Pectinase may not help, pectin methylesterase should: no idea what's in commercial pectolase.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 5X05002213
When the hydrometer says done, if it won't clear try pectolase and/or chilling and/or finings!
oldbloke

Postby GrahamT » Mon Jun 02, 2014 23:52

Thanks OB. I will do. Will rack onto some Pectolase if needed, once SG stable. I have some in stock from a WOW last year. That never had a haze from the OJ, so perhaps the Pectolase worked.

GrahamT
Brewer

Postby GrahamT » Tue Jun 03, 2014 17:54

First sampling and hydrometer SGs:

A) AJ/OJ/wine yeast 1.0025

B) AJ/Cranb/Notty 1.002

C)AJ/Cranb/wine yeast 1.0015

[Before you think I'm being a smart ar$* for quoting half-points, I'm using a 1-point finishing hydrometer so I can quote half points as confidently as whole points on my bog standard HB hydrometer, the goal being to record it as closely as possible to spot any movement in three days time.]

Wow! I'm really impressed with these. Never tasted a TC before and instantly very pleased:

Both A and C with the wine yeast were much more typical of commercial cider than B with the Nottingham ale yeast. B perhaps retained slightly more of the adjunct juice taste (cranberry) than C, but also had a slight foreign taste too. Nothing too bad, but not as clean as the other two - which were whistle clean to my palette. I will have to get the finished articles next to each other in a few weeks to really pick between A and C, but both were already very palatable. C possibly had a slightly rounder taste, but I will reserve judgement. All 3 DJs will certainly be happily drunk! DJ A remains hazy.

Cheers again OB and other TC forefathers on here. I will update again in a good while.

GrahamT
Brewer