Potato Wine

Making wine, cider or something interesting, show us how you did it here.

Potato Wine

Postby Brewtrog » Sun May 11, 2014 19:07

Finally got to start this today, now just to wait fermentation time + 2 years before I find out what it's like.
If you're interested the recipe is
500g old potatoes thinly chopped (I peeled 4 spuds and ran them through a V slice)
500g pearl barley rinsed
500g sultanas rinsed and chopped
pour over 1 gal boiling water, allow to cool and add
1tsp acid
yeast and nutrient.
It's fermented on the pulp for 3 weeks and fed brown sugar over this time.
Brewtrog
Brewer

Re: Potato Wine

Postby Brewtrog » Sat Jun 14, 2014 20:55

Took off the pulp yesterday, smelling good, can't wait to try it.
Brewtrog
Brewer

Postby mark1964 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 21:04

i dont think i could wait 2 years but thats just me. I could stash it and forget about it maybe. We have some 3 year old ginger beer upstairs :thumb:

ITS TIME 4 ANOTHER BEER
mark1964
Brewer

Postby Brewtrog » Sat Jun 14, 2014 22:58

I'm likely to get sly tasters when it gets racked, but I'll (try) to be patient. The major problem in my eyes with this is it ties up a dj for two years. If it tastes good I'll be tempted to make a solera of it, so that I get a consistent bottle every year - but only if it's good enough to bother.
Brewtrog
Brewer

Postby Frogfurlong » Sat Jun 14, 2014 23:48

mark1964 wrote:i dont think i could wait 2 years but thats just me. I could stash it and forget about it maybe. We have some 3 year old ginger beer upstairs :thumb:

My Beetroot and Parsnip sherry ties up a DJ for 2 years, no loss if you use a plastic one though, shove it at the back of the cupboard/shed and leave it to mature :thumb:

People assume that Brewing is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big glass of wibbly wobbly... beery weery... stuff.
Frogfurlong
Brewer

Postby Brewtrog » Sun Jun 15, 2014 00:19

Frogfurlong wrote:no loss if you use a plastic one though

glass only for me atm, don't particularly plan on starting on using plastic either.
Brewtrog
Brewer

Postby alanywiseman » Sun Jun 15, 2014 02:13

Frogfurlong wrote:My Beetroot and Parsnip sherry ties up a DJ for 2 years, no loss if you use a plastic one though, shove it at the back of the cupboard/shed and leave it to mature :thumb:

Plastic us fine for sherry as you want the wine to be oxygenised. It adds to the complex flavour profile. However with wine this is not desired. It would be d'être mental to the flavour profile so I would use glass.

Can you provide you sherry recipe though? That sounds like a good one to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alanywiseman
Brewer

Postby Frogfurlong » Sun Jun 15, 2014 09:11

alanywiseman wrote:Plastic us fine for sherry as you want the wine to be oxygenised. It adds to the complex flavour profile. However with wine this is not desired. It would be d'être mental to the flavour profile so I would use glass.

Can you provide you sherry recipe though? That sounds like a good one to try.

I never thought about the oxidation risk, I tend to use plastic DJs for most of my wines and have for a while with no noticeable problems. However most don't sit for 2 years :lol:

The B&P sherry is here on the board, tastes good too I've got some now in bottles for xmas... and my stake for the world cup sweepstake :D

Recipe is here

Give it a try, if you like sherry you should like this :thumb:

I'll have to give potato wine a go, looks like an interesting recipe.
Does it need amylase to help with the breakdown of fermentables in the taters?

I love t experiment with ingredients, sometimes you get a winner that you can repeat and at other times you get to clean the drains well :lol:

People assume that Brewing is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big glass of wibbly wobbly... beery weery... stuff.
Frogfurlong
Brewer

Postby Brewtrog » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:13

The recipe doesn't call for it, but then it's an old recipe. I've added some to be on the safe side of things.
Brewtrog
Brewer

Postby Brewtrog » Thu Jun 19, 2014 16:22

just had a sneaky taste of this, was at 990 after 1kg sugar and already tastes like it'll be rocket fuel. just poured in the final 500g off sugar.
Brewtrog
Brewer