Dandelion Wine

Making wine, cider or something interesting, show us how you did it here.

Dandelion Wine

Postby Brewtrog » Sun Apr 27, 2014 00:04

Recipe
3L dandelion heads (no greenery)
1.2kg sugar
1tsp tartaric acid
yeast and nutrient

Actually put on last week but oh well.
My neighbour had a large number of dandelions in his garden, so I asked if I could have the heads. Bemusedly he said I could if I picked them within the next day because he was mowing the lawn the day after. I quickly checked my books for a recipe and picked 3 litres of heads (probably closer to 4). As the recipes said I couldn't have much greenery I spent the next 4 hours (no joke) chopping the greenery off (except the out most petals that have a green tinge) [I really must try a batch with the green still on]. Then the petals were put in 1 litre of water (with crushed CT) to soak for 2 days.
After the 2 days the liquor was strained and put on to simmer for 10 mins with the sugar. When it was finished I added the acid and nutrient, poured it into the dj, topped up with cold water and added the yeast.
1 week on, it's looking good, still bubbling away quite happily. It's a lovely yellow colour and it had better taste good after so much effort.
User avatar
Brewtrog
Brewer
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 00:48
Location: Warrington

Re: Dandelion Wine

Postby godfrey » Sun Apr 27, 2014 00:40

any pics of the brewday ?

I picked 2 carrier bags of heads the other day....

got home to remove the green bits and SWMBO sent me out on a 3 hours errand :doh:

the heads ended up in the bin as they were looking brown and wilted when I got back :nono:

I hope I can find time to get a dandelion brew on this year, I really want to try a dandelion wine or champagne

if i miss the heads I try to get the roots later in the season for a dandelion and burdock root beer :thumb:
User avatar
godfrey
Brewer
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 00:08

Re: Dandelion Wine

Postby oldbloke » Sun Apr 27, 2014 00:44

Brewtrog wrote: As the recipes said I couldn't have much greenery I spent the next 4 hours (no joke) chopping the greenery off (except the out most petals that have a green tinge) [I really must try a batch with the green still on].


Yeh, it's a bit tedious.
I've found you don't have to be too strict with losing all the greenery, what you must do is get rid of any stems, coz of that latex-like sap.
So I get the kitchen scissors and cut across above the end of the stem - loses most of the green, and I don't worry about the bots that are left.
User avatar
oldbloke
Moderator
 
Posts: 1274
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 23:26
Location: Todmorden, Wet Yorkshire

Re: Dandelion Wine

Postby Brewtrog » Sun Apr 27, 2014 00:49

oldbloke wrote:
Brewtrog wrote: As the recipes said I couldn't have much greenery I spent the next 4 hours (no joke) chopping the greenery off (except the out most petals that have a green tinge) [I really must try a batch with the green still on].


Yeh, it's a bit tedious.
I've found you don't have to be too strict with losing all the greenery, what you must do is get rid of any stems, coz of that latex-like sap.
So I get the kitchen scissors and cut across above the end of the stem - loses most of the green, and I don't worry about the bots that are left.


Great, thanks, means I don't need to worry too much when I put my "with green bits" batch on (probably next year)
User avatar
Brewtrog
Brewer
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 00:48
Location: Warrington

Re: Dandelion Wine

Postby Oldstunty » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:11

Brewtrog wrote:
oldbloke wrote:
Brewtrog wrote: As the recipes said I couldn't have much greenery I spent the next 4 hours (no joke) chopping the greenery off (except the out most petals that have a green tinge) [I really must try a batch with the green still on].


Yeh, it's a bit tedious.
I've found you don't have to be too strict with losing all the greenery, what you must do is get rid of any stems, coz of that latex-like sap.
So I get the kitchen scissors and cut across above the end of the stem - loses most of the green, and I don't worry about the bots that are left.


Great, thanks, means I don't need to worry too much when I put my "with green bits" batch on (probably next year)


Exactly what i did yesterday. Held the flower head by the green bulb and snipped the petals off, leaving a bit of green petal.
I might only steep the flowers for a day, as I might be working away tomorrow and leaving it for a week will probably ruin the brew.

Cheers,

Jon.

I enjoy a glass of wine each night for its health benefits. The other glasses are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
User avatar
Oldstunty
Brewer
 
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 21:47
Location: On my sofa, in front of the telly.

Re: Dandelion Wine

Postby Brewtrog » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:21

Oldstunty wrote:I might only steep the flowers for a day, as I might be working away tomorrow and leaving it for a week will probably ruin the brew.

Everything I've read says no more than three days or it's ruined due to a strange odour developing.
User avatar
Brewtrog
Brewer
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 00:48
Location: Warrington

Re: Dandelion Wine

Postby Oldstunty » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:39

That's what I read too, So I'm erring on the side of caution by steeping it for 24 hours.


Cheers,

Jon.

I enjoy a glass of wine each night for its health benefits. The other glasses are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
User avatar
Oldstunty
Brewer
 
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 21:47
Location: On my sofa, in front of the telly.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest