Caramel Mead

Making wine, cider or something interesting, show us how you did it here.

Caramel Mead

Postby jkp » Wed May 10, 2017 15:44

I recently found this recipe and as I had a glut of honey thought I'd give it a try. The recipe (taken from the link above) is roughly as follows:

Ingredients

For 19 L
8.2 kg light honey
4 g yeast nutrient
0.1 g zinc-fortified yeast as nutrient
40 g dried Champagne or mead yeast

OG: 1.130–1.138
FG: 1.028–1.038
ABV: 14%

Directions

In a pot, gently boil the honey until it has turned dark and tastes caramelized. Add 3.8 L of water and zinc-fortified yeast, and blend into “scorched” honey. Add this hot honey and water mixture to 7.6 L of cold water in your primary fermenter. Aerate extremely well and add dissolved yeast nutrient (yeast extract).

Pitch at 26.5c, ferment at 21-24c. Rack once activity slows down, 3-9 weeks. Secondary at cooler temperatures. Rack off sediment after six months to a year. Bottle when clear and all fermentation has ceased. Cork in wine bottles for long-term aging.

Got this one on today. I followed the directions above, but my OG was closer to 1.148, so I'll top up with more water later. It's going to cool overnight before pitching the yeast in the morning. 40g of yeast seems like a lot though. One 5g packet of EC-1118 says it is enough for up to 23L. Do I really need that much?

jkp
Brewer

Re: Caramel Mead

Postby robwalker » Wed May 10, 2017 17:46

Just make sure you supply enough nutrient for the yeast. Nutrient, marmite, boiled red lentils and tomato paste will all do the job.
I did a cider with burnt honey before and it was awesome. Don't dip your finger in and don't add cold water straight away or you'll get a rather dangerous explosion!
robwalker
Brewer

Re: Caramel Mead

Postby jkp » Wed May 10, 2017 18:20

robwalker wrote:Just make sure you supply enough nutrient for the yeast. Nutrient, marmite, boiled red lentils and tomato paste will all do the job.
I did a cider with burnt honey before and it was awesome. Don't dip your finger in and don't add cold water straight away or you'll get a rather dangerous explosion!

Indeed! I didn't let it cool enough before added the first water to the honey. As a result it frothed up, fortunately a good stir was enough to settle it back down. So yes, be very careful adding the water!

As for nutrients I think I'll add some over time too to keep the yeast going.

jkp
Brewer