DIY Brewpi

Postby AltonAnt » Thu Aug 20, 2015 17:04

I've eventually found the time to put my DIY Brewpi together after have the bits for about a year.

I ordered the parts from various places but here are the same parts on Amazon which can be a little more expensive but still really reasonable.

Arduino Uno £5.99
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00S ... 1_6&sr=8-6

Relay board £1.19
http://www.amazon.co.uk/FACILLA-2-Chann ... 147_text_y

*Waterproof sensors x5 £10
http://www.amazon.co.uk/PsmGoods-5pcs-D ... ds=ds18b20

LCD £9.29 (optional)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/XCSOURCE-Interf ... d+20x4+i2c

Cables £1-2
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Conductor-Femal ... 9RPF2A9HAH
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Assorted-Multic ... 9RPF2A9HAH

Prototype shield £3.44 (optional)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arduino-ProtoSh ... +prototype

Rotary encoder £1.50 (optional)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/STOREINBOX-Enco ... ry+encoder

If you want to control it manually then you'll need the LCD and rotary encoder and if you don't you'll need a webserver to control it which is where the Raspi comes in but you can use an old PC/laptop.

The LCD I mentioned above requires a specific Arduino image to work but requires much less work.

Last thing to add is a couple of LEDs so I can see instantly whether it is heating or cooling.
AltonAnt
Brewer

Re: DIY Brewpi

Postby Pjam » Thu Aug 20, 2015 18:08

I can tell you enjoyed putting that together :) This kinda tech is sooooooo far away from my crude set up. I hope they'll be beer at the end of it though Ant :)
Pjam
Brewer

Postby AltonAnt » Thu Aug 20, 2015 18:14

:) I wanted to get it finished so I can get a brew or two done in the next day or so :cheers:
AltonAnt
Brewer

Postby f00b4r » Thu Aug 20, 2015 18:15

Hmm I need an arduino and cables to flash my stc1000 and have a unused PI and project box kicking around, I might have to get the Dremmel out thanks for giving such a great breakdown of the hardware bits needed.
f00b4r
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Thu Aug 20, 2015 19:46

I've got a breadboarded homebrewed Brew Pi running in test mode . . . Will get used for real next weekend for the Admin Collaborative brew.

Must admit that I have not gone down the Screen and encoder route, but went full Pi interface.

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby aamcle » Thu Aug 20, 2015 21:20

I put one together some months ago, just to try it, I didn't bother with an onboard display.

It worked OK but as I have STCs running my fridge and freezer I had no real use for it and its back in the parts box.

For me the true advantage at least in as much as they have one is digital temperature probes. No more worrying about slight changes in the resistance of the connections they work or they don't.

I'm suspicious of these devboard builds because I'm too ignorant and unskilled to understand the code. It as silly as you can get, I don't understand the firmware in the STCs but I'm happily using them.

Isn't logic a wonderful thing!!!

Atb. Aamcle
aamcle
Brewer

Postby kev » Fri Aug 21, 2015 08:36

I've been running this for a while now. I didn't bother with the LCD screen, etc and utilised and old netbook we had lying around. When the new Rasp Pi 2 came out I bought one of them and now that controls the web element of things.

Love it. Much much better accuracy/control than an STC

K
kev
Brewer

Postby AltonAnt » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:10

To use this screen the connections are:

LCD
SCL - A5
SDA - A4
VCC - 5V
GND - GND

Rotary Encoder
Push button - D7
Rotary1 - D8
Rotary2 - D9
GND - GND

Relay
GND - GND
IN1 - D5
IN2 - D4
VCC - 5v

Temp sensors - (4.7k resistor between 5v and data)
VCC - 5v
GND - GND
Data - A0

The modified .hex can be downloaded HERE

The rest of the setup is as per the project documentation - http://docs.brewpi.com/

It Lives!!
AltonAnt
Brewer

Postby AltonAnt » Fri Aug 21, 2015 13:26

I was reading about them PF over at Jim's. It may have even been you with the info.
Interesting devices which I'm sure I'll find a use for ;)
AltonAnt
Brewer

Postby Raptor » Fri Aug 21, 2015 14:50

Very good - I am going to have a play with this.

How does the Arduino 'talk' to the webserver? Via USB or Wifi?
Raptor
Brewer

Postby kev » Fri Aug 21, 2015 16:16

USB into the Pi.

K
kev
Brewer

Postby PhatFil » Fri Aug 21, 2015 16:30

?? serial comms Shirley?? (null modem) arduino uno has 2 x serial gpio sets 0,1 and 2,3 .. plus software serial libs to apply rx and Tx to any unused gipo pins.. while you can install a USBmaster shield onto an arduino its an expense and complication way beyond the need.
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby AltonAnt » Fri Aug 21, 2015 16:53

The USB port on the Arduino is used for programming it and is also a regular serial port. It is the standard way how to connect it to the Pi.
AltonAnt
Brewer

Postby Raptor » Fri Aug 21, 2015 20:41

AltonAnt wrote:The USB port on the Arduino is used for programming it and is also a regular serial port. It is the standard way how to connect it to the Pi.

Ant, does your new 'box' contain both the arduino and RPi then?
Raptor
Brewer

Postby AltonAnt » Fri Aug 21, 2015 21:21

Raptor wrote:Ant, does your new 'box' contain both the arduino and RPi then?

Not yet as there are some wiring issues I need to sort out but it is likely in the future as there is plenty of room in the box.
AltonAnt
Brewer

Postby aamcle » Fri Aug 21, 2015 22:24

Have you seen the MashBerry?

Easy to build , I'm just checking that the probes can be calibrated, if they can I'll build it, why I don't know. I've a PID that will do all that but the urge to build is there n I have the bits.

Aamcle

Thanks
aamcle
Brewer

Postby JohnnyGunn » Sun Dec 18, 2016 17:00

Quick question...do you have a functioning link to your modified .hex file to use an i2c lcd?

Cheers!
JohnnyGunn
Brewer

Postby Ren » Tue Dec 20, 2016 23:25

JohnnyGunn wrote:Old thread I know, but is there any way you could link to the .hex file you used? The link provided doesn't seem to work.

Cheers.

I can upload one Tomorrow morning if you are still looking for one.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Ren
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:12

JohnnyGunn wrote:Quick question...do you have a functioning link to your modified .hex file to use an i2c lcd?

2.10 Uno Hex file AFAIAA all the I2C stuff is in the image as standard. That is the last version of the firmware that supports the arduino :(

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby JohnnyGunn » Wed Dec 21, 2016 16:32

Cheers guys! I really appreciate it. Just for reference, I found a thread over at HBT that had the links I was looking for (I'm too new to post the link, but it's p.31 of the "How To: BrewPi LCD Add-On" on HomeBrewTalk).

Thanks again.

Johnny.
JohnnyGunn
Brewer

Postby LeeH » Wed Dec 21, 2016 18:15

When I get time I'll get on if these and have a play.

At the moment it's just white mans magic to me.

I like switches, relays and function block diagram.
LeeH
Brewer

Postby The Goatreich » Thu Dec 22, 2016 17:24

For the beer temp do you use a thermowell into your FV? Is this something that can be done with a plastic bucket FV, or would I need to upgrade to stainless to get that to work ok?

Fermenting: AG#28 Things Can Only Get Bitter
Conditioning:
Drinking: AG#25 Williamsburg Wannabe, AG#26 #Tis the Saison, AG#27 Winter Equinox
----------------------------------------------
Twitter: @andimorris616
Instagram: @andimorris616
The Goatreich
Brewer

Postby Ren » Thu Dec 22, 2016 19:00

The Goatreich wrote:For the beer temp do you use a thermowell into your FV? Is this something that can be done with a plastic bucket FV, or would I need to upgrade to stainless to get that to work ok?

I use thermowell in brewtech mini brewbucket and diy thermowell I made from corny keg dip tube and cable gland in 30l plastic fermenter. The thermowell in plastic fermenter is going through lid. The best practice is to use thermowell with brewpi though, if the sensor is on the side of the fermenter it will partly measure the air temp aswell.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Ren
Brewer

Postby The Goatreich » Thu Dec 22, 2016 20:26

Did you seal off the end of the dip tube or leave it open?

Fermenting: AG#28 Things Can Only Get Bitter
Conditioning:
Drinking: AG#25 Williamsburg Wannabe, AG#26 #Tis the Saison, AG#27 Winter Equinox
----------------------------------------------
Twitter: @andimorris616
Instagram: @andimorris616
The Goatreich
Brewer

Next