[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Brewing Forum • View topic - Making a hop bag

Making a hop bag

Postby Bad 'Ed » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:47

I'm trying to decide what to make my hop bag out of, it will be mainly for dry hopping as I already BIAB so have that for the boil. I have a cheap material shop nearby and was intending to get some muslin and make a big tea bag / envelope out of.

I know anything is fine (and that some people use their socks) but as I'll be buying it, I may as well get the best material for the job. Is there any guidelines such as avoiding bleached fabric or anything? Is nylon better than cotton?

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Re: Making a hop bag

Postby Good Ed » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:50

I use a coarse straining bag used for winemaking from the LHBS which is nylon. Make something big enough to give the hops plenty of room.

Here's to the man who drinks strong ale,
and goes to bed quite mellow.
Lives as he ought to live,
and dies a jolly good fellow.
- Old English folk song
Good Ed
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:51

Good Ed, Bad Ed...I'm confused.

Make sure whatever you use they're quite loose, and strong enough to add weights to sink the bag if you want. you'll pick up lots of aroma that way.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Jeltz » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:54

I use a bag made from net curtain material, there is a cord threaded through where the wire should go to make it a draw sting bag. When I use it I put a large marble in to weigh it down.

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Postby Bad 'Ed » Sun Apr 13, 2014 15:08

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby Good Ed » Sun Apr 13, 2014 17:21

Here's to the man who drinks strong ale,
and goes to bed quite mellow.
Lives as he ought to live,
and dies a jolly good fellow.
- Old English folk song
Good Ed
Brewer

Postby pjbiker » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:48

I use sections cut from mrs pjbiker's discarded nylon tights, havn't bothered weighing them down. Yes I sanitise them first. ;-) (Wheres all the emotive smilies over here?)

PJ
Hobby Horse Brewery
Evolving slowly since Jan 2009
pjbiker
Brewer

Postby GAZ9053 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:03

First BIAB 15.03.15
First Grainfather 22.12.15

GAZ9053
Brewer