[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Brewing Forum • View topic - Brewing fridges are like buses

Brewing fridges are like buses

Postby The Goatreich » Thu Apr 10, 2014 09:14

I've been looking out on my local freecycle and ebay for a decent fridge for a fermentation chamber for a long while now, and as it happens I've just managed to nab one for free, and another for 99p!! Bonus!!

I have a tube heater and pre-built STC1000 on the way from homebrewbuilder.co.uk which I can use to control one of the fridges, but having a second one makes me want to try and build my own controller on the cheap.

Well excited! The plan is to use one as a fermentation chamber, and the other to keep bottles at cellar temperature.
:party: :party:

Fermenting: AG#28 Things Can Only Get Bitter
Conditioning:
Drinking: AG#25 Williamsburg Wannabe, AG#26 #Tis the Saison, AG#27 Winter Equinox
----------------------------------------------
Twitter: @andimorris616
Instagram: @andimorris616
The Goatreich
Brewer

Re: Brewing fridges are like buses

Postby Joe1002 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 09:17

Well done :clap:

STC controller units aren't hard to build but you must be confident in your electrical ability. There are plenty of wiring diagrams about but you must remember you are playing with 240v so be careful :electric:

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Joe1002

Postby The Goatreich » Thu Apr 10, 2014 09:21

I'll likely double check and triple check on here. Otherwise :electric:

Conditioning:
Drinking: AG#25 Williamsburg Wannabe, AG#26 #Tis the Saison, AG#27 Winter Equinox
The Goatreich
Brewer

Postby kev » Thu Apr 10, 2014 09:29

Here's something I did for the other forum a while back.

All the diagrams I could find were rubbish, wrong or in Chinese......so I drew this

K

kev
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 09:38

Thats superb! planning on building one over summer so this will come in handy!

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby kev » Thu Apr 10, 2014 09:39

If it's for a ferment fridge then you will need cooling and heating circuits but on my keg fridge I've only hooked up the cooling circuit.

K
kev
Brewer

Postby The Goatreich » Thu Apr 10, 2014 09:39

Brilliant, cheers Kev.

Conditioning:
The Goatreich
Brewer

Postby The Goatreich » Thu Apr 10, 2014 09:43

I don't have kegs yet. I'm trying to think how I can rework the kitchen so I have room for a kegerator. I can't get behind buying cornies until I can dispense from them properly.

Conditioning:
The Goatreich
Brewer

Postby kev » Thu Apr 10, 2014 09:57

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

You wait.

Here's my humbe fridge setup.

Left to right is : Dispense/kegs - Ferment 1 - Ferment 2 - Yeast/cold bottles

K
kev
Brewer

Postby The Goatreich » Thu Apr 10, 2014 09:59

One day that'll be me.

Conditioning:
The Goatreich
Brewer

Postby keith1664 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:46

Only 4 fridges.... I give you 5.

And a hop freezer!

In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.
keith1664
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:51

Wow! some of us can only dream!!!

Loving the fridge labels...... "Plan B"!

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby kev » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:52

How on earth do you fit 4 cornies in 1 under counter fridge?!

K
kev
Brewer

Postby keith1664 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:01

In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.
keith1664
Brewer

Postby kev » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:05

Ahh. What are the 4 taps hooked up to?

K
kev
Brewer

Postby keith1664 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:16

4 cornies, I meant it's not an under counter fridge.

keith1664
Brewer

Postby kev » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:20

Ahh right. Got you.

Mine's narrower than yours obviously. Can only get 2 in. Does my head in.

K
kev
Brewer

Postby GrowlingDog » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:23

GrowlingDog
Admin

Postby kev » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:38

Yeh some units are reversed. Same wiring though. Just sockets are opposite.

K
kev
Brewer

Postby The Goatreich » Thu Apr 10, 2014 13:34

Just picked up the first fridge. Looks like there is a small freezer bit at the top, when the description said there wasn't. It's small though, and looks removable. There's also an annoying thermostat at the top, but as i won't be needing that I'll try and remove it too.

Conditioning:
The Goatreich
Brewer

Postby Frogfurlong » Thu Apr 10, 2014 13:36

People assume that Brewing is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big glass of wibbly wobbly... beery weery... stuff.
Frogfurlong
Brewer

Postby kev » Thu Apr 10, 2014 13:39

You need a bigger shed.

K
kev
Brewer

Postby LeithR » Thu Apr 10, 2014 13:44

is the utube vid "How To" to build the STC1000. Very easy, just be careful and test it before you use it in anger.

Puppy Slacko 5.9.3 Linux user see for details.

Searching for other planets? Why, this is the only one with beer!
LeithR
Brewer

Postby Frogfurlong » Thu Apr 10, 2014 13:45

People assume that Brewing is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big glass of wibbly wobbly... beery weery... stuff.
Frogfurlong
Brewer

Postby titch » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:35

i didnt wire mine in
i just have 2 extention leads an dplug the heater in and a fridge into the other

i only have 3 fridges ;(

on the left fermenting fridge
middle beer/milk fridge
right the freezer for food and hops
titch
Brewer