[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Brewing Forum • View topic - Preparing a 33l Burco for BIAB

Preparing a 33l Burco for BIAB

Postby krazypara3165 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:21

As some of you know I acquired a 33l Burco boiler for £20 a few months back and now I am looking to get it ready for My first 'proper' brew over the summer and after cleaning it, de scaling and polishing the outside she's looking mighty fine! However I have a few questions in respect to upgrades......

The Tap: Is a big twisty one e.g a wheel to control the flow volume its a metal job and the spout bends 90 degrees to face downwards. Is this suitable or does it need replacing?

Volume measurement: what's the most accurate method of filling and ensuring I have the correct volume? I could fill a measuring jug and add 1l at a time but over 30 odd fills as well as being time-consuming would I not start loosing accuracy over a few litres? Also is it better to install a sight tube, and how easy is it to install? or would it be better to use some form of measuring stick?

hop filter: can I get away with throwing the hops in a bag and chucking them in or should I devise some sort of filter?

thermometer: What would I be better using? digital or a mechanical one. wilko's have good mechanical ones however the increments are too big so it would be difficult to get an exact temp. i would assume with either of these methods i can only take a temperature sample from the top of the wort.

Element cover: the element has a cover over it (handy I know) but there is only a clearance of 5-10mm could the cover still scorch the bag?

Its a fair bit but I want to get everything spot on first time!

If there is anything I have missed I am al ears!

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Re: Preparing a 33l Burco for BIAB

Postby EvansTheSteam » Wed Apr 09, 2014 13:56

Your cheaper initial option would be a wilco's glass thermometer.
It is better to have some form of hop filter so that the hops are free in the boil.

Evanvine Brewery
EvansTheSteam
Steam Age Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 14:02

cheers, I assume they are fine to use in the very hot wart? i never thought of a standard one but then again i guess i will always be worried of breaking it!

I was going to try to avoid changing the tap but i guess if i need a hop filter i may as well change the tap when i put a filter in.

Kegged:

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Joe1002 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 14:05

For starters (and I know you have polished the outside) you may want to think about some permanent insulation for your pot. I use a camping mat taped to my boiler but to keep with the shiney them you could use some of that foil bubblewrap stuff.

The tap, whilst it will probably do for now you may want to think about swapping it with a ball valve in the future. They are much easier to use (quarter turn on/off) and not hard to fit.

Volume measurement - 1l of water weighs 1kg. That's how I calibrated my sight tube. Tedious yes but I only had to do it once and now it works a dream. Sight tube v measuring stick, everyone has their own preference. Mine is a sight glass as it is easy the volume to see without having to do anything, however it is more work to fit than making a measuring stick. Both have to be calibrated.

Hop filter - You probably can put the hops in a bag but I would imagine you may not get their full utilisation if they can't roam free so to speak. In addition, you will also loose their filtering properties when you come to drain the boiler (they hold back a lot of the break material).

Thermometer - Again probably personal choice. I use a which I can calibrate. The main benefit for me though is that it is waterproof.

Element cover - Will you be using the element while the grains are in the boiler?. I so I have seen people using upturnes s/s fruit bowls to protect the bag from the element.

I hope that helps a little :thumb:

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Joe1002

Postby krazypara3165 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 14:13

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby tim_n » Wed Apr 09, 2014 15:29

I use hop bags and pitch the whole shooting match straight into the FV. Beer tastes fab.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Tim

- My forays into homebrewing & grow your own
tim_n
Brewer

Postby rpt » Wed Apr 09, 2014 23:33

I changed the tap on my 40L Buffalo - have a look at my how-to and see if it's applicable to your Burco. I've now fitted a sight tube but I previously used a rule to measure the headspace i.e. the distance between the top of the liquid and the top of the boiler. I use the BIABacus spreadsheet and this gives you the headspace reading as long you enter the correct dimensions. It can also correct for a non-flat bottom (the boiler's that is...).

rpt
Brewer

Postby Bluezephyr » Thu Apr 10, 2014 06:08

I used a 5 litre ashbeck water bottle to calculate the amount of water, filled it up litre at a time then made marks on the side.
I use a silverline 5L jug from eBay now, a lot easier to fill and quicker to pour.
Think they sell them on biggerjugs.co.uk but maybe there's postage to pay on top.
Bluezephyr
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 07:43

cheers gents, all good stuff!!!

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby supersteve » Thu Apr 10, 2014 18:37

Bigger Jugs :rofl: :rofl:

Some great info here, If I were you i'd try with hops in bags first, I've heard it works fine.
supersteve
Brewer

Postby hodor » Sun Apr 13, 2014 14:48

+1 on the biabacus calculations for volume, I'm doing a boil test to see how much water i lose on my 40l buffalo boiler as i type.

I followed the above mentioned guide to fit a ball lock tap (many thanks), i think it cost around £25 in all

Mark

The Wobbly Dog Brewery

AG cherry popped: 19/04/2014
hodor
Brewer

Postby EvansTheSteam » Sun Apr 13, 2014 19:43

I like it Hodor, game of thrones!

Evanvine Brewery
EvansTheSteam
Steam Age Brewer