[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Brewing Forum • View topic - Dehydrator

Dehydrator

Postby BIGJIM72 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 21:37

I bought this little bit of kit,along with a vac packer, for hy homegrown hops.

Not wanting it to sit idle for the rest of the year,I often use it for drying fruits-good for snacking.This morning's efforts (apart from the loaf & slow roast lamb breast):

2 pineapples,couple of kilos of bananas & 3 punnets of strawberries from the market. Grand total of £3.50.I soaked the strawberries in a little juice & sugar for about 10 mins-they can be a bit tart. I don't bother with lemon juice on the bananas as they go fairly dark anyway during the process. My fruit may be sliced a little too thickly to dehydrate completely-but I find a thick slice semi dried much more pleasant to eat as a snack rather than thin slices completely dry.

Loading up

Lid on & timer set for 8 hours at 65'c.

I will need to rotate the shelves around a bit as they dry.The house smells wonderful.

If you like those deli style sunblush tomatoes,they work a treat in one of these-even using cheap supermarket tomatoes.

Some of the finished bananas may be heading into my porter in secondary as an experiment. I know most banana flavouring in beer comes from the yeast type & temp control so it will be interesting to see just how much flavour they will impart.

I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Brewing,baking & grilling up a storm in South London
BIGJIM72
Brewer

Re: Dehydrator

Postby Frogfurlong » Mon Apr 07, 2014 01:20

Dehydrators are a fabulous bit of kit :thumb:

we have one of these https://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/

Dried strawberries are wonderful as a snack, and homemade Jerky is the dogs danglies.

I keep looking at it and wondering what joys are in store for the brewing :D

People assume that Brewing is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big glass of wibbly wobbly... beery weery... stuff.
Frogfurlong
Brewer

Postby Mattyhall22 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 13:47

There is an offer on "Groupon" for a food dehydrator :thumb:
Mattyhall22
Brewer

Postby BIGJIM72 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 20:33

I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Brewing,baking & grilling up a storm in South London
BIGJIM72
Brewer

Postby Frogfurlong » Fri Apr 11, 2014 20:35

I can't get hop plants, I've got a "I can and will eat anything I damned well want" dog (AKA Bull Terrier)

Hops + Dog = very dead dog :(

Dehydrated wort leather.... It might catch on

People assume that Brewing is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big glass of wibbly wobbly... beery weery... stuff.
Frogfurlong
Brewer

Postby boab44stout » Mon Apr 14, 2014 16:22

i didn realise hops where toxic to dogs i know that nuts chocolate and grapes are toxic to them
boab44stout
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 17:19

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Frogfurlong » Mon Apr 14, 2014 18:07

Jerky is so easy:

Beef cut into 1/2" wide strips - This has to be lean cut
Marinade - I like soy sauce with salt, pepper and chili

put in freezer bag shake 'til mixed then drop in the beef, give a good shake to cover the meat then leave a few hours to soak in.

put the beef into the dehydrator and dry

Bloody wonderful with a full bodied stout :drink:

Frogfurlong
Brewer