Fermentation temp control

Postby RidleyRumpus » Wed Feb 06, 2019 15:43

I have built a fermentation fridge, which is great for 5 gallons but now I am planning on brewing bigger batches the fermentation vessel will not fit inside.

I have bought s/h a conical fermenter that I thought would fit into a tall larder fridge but is ever so slightly too deep for the fridge. Now I could try to hack away at the fridges insulation but I am not sure that that would work.

I have looked at some of the commercial display type fridges and some of those look like internally they are big enough but invariably come with a light box on top that makes them too tall to fit into the room I have available.

So what are my alternatives? What do other people do?
RidleyRumpus
Brewer

Re: Fermentation temp control

Postby Oldstunty » Wed Feb 06, 2019 21:38

There are some youtube vids with people building cupboards around the fridge.
I'll have a quick look and post a link.

Cheers,
Jon.

I enjoy a glass of wine each night for its health benefits. The other glasses are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
Oldstunty
Brewer

Postby Oldstunty » Wed Feb 06, 2019 21:41

As promised :thumb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9PdCOMoGWs
There are a few more, I just searched for fermentation chamber.
Cheers,
Jon.

I enjoy a glass of wine each night for its health benefits. The other glasses are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
Oldstunty
Brewer

Postby BigYin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 22:51

RidleyRumpus wrote:
I have bought s/h a conical fermenter that I thought would fit into a tall larder fridge but is ever so slightly too deep for the fridge. Now I could try to hack away at the fridges insulation but I am not sure that that would work.

My 65 litre plastic fermenter was slightly too deep for my tall larder fridge - until that is, I realised I could just cut away some of the shelf fittings inside the door - Once cut, I painted the exposed insulation with a gloss paint to seal it and stop it getting damp, and jobs a good 'un :D

Other adaption was to use ALL the metal shelves together to support the fermenter, and built a frame to support the front of the shelves to make sure it couldn't tip out.
BigYin
Brewer