[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Brewing Forum • View topic - Immersion, Counterflow or Plate Chiller?

Immersion, Counterflow or Plate Chiller?

Postby RidleyRumpus » Wed Dec 26, 2018 16:49

I have just bought some shiny pots, 70l Kettle, HLT and Mash Tun.

Now I want a method of cooling the wort a lot faster than my first attempt at making an immersion chiller.

I understand that PC and CFC are really fast but can be a pain to clean esp the PC when I make my preferred hoppy beers.

I have seen some designs for the Jaded Hydra immersion chillers and dont mind making one but am aware of the heating element in the kettle may not like having all that weight placed on it, so would probably go for a different design to avoid that which would probably lower the efficiency of the cooling.

I could make a counterflow chiller and I suspect that they are easier to clean, anyone with experience of making these?

Has anyone got any suggestions / preferences?
RidleyRumpus
Brewer

Re: Immersion, Counterflow or Plate Chiller?

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Thu Dec 27, 2018 09:01

Plate chiller. But use a BacBrewing Springer as a filter and flush the plate chiller with hot water in both directions immediately after use. Before use fill with a solution of VWP and leave overnight then flush with hot water before use. You will be amazed how much time you will save. The MaltMiller sells an excellent PC.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin
INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby PeeBee » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:41

Last edited by PeeBee on Thu Dec 27, 2018 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
PeeBee
Brewer

Postby RidleyRumpus » Thu Dec 27, 2018 14:05

I can see the advantages of the plate chiller but when you add a £70 filter and then all the fittings and carriage you end up at near £200.

The counterflow chillers seem good but even the Grainfather one is £140.

I have looked at the Jaded Brewery Hydra immersion chillers that look good and seem effective though still expensive at least clean up would not be such an issue, though I do worry about putting that weight of pipework anywhere near the heater elements.

Perhaps I could build a custom Hydra clone or one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVf-lTFpR2c&t=1s
RidleyRumpus
Brewer

Postby sledgehammer » Thu Dec 27, 2018 17:03

I use a immersion chiller i made myself from a how to on this forum
its 15mm pipe to supply (Cold) and take the waste (Hot) water away and consists of 2 coils of 10mm pipe one inside the other as the heat transfer area
i put it in the boiler a few mins before the heat is cut then when the heat is off turn the water on this cools the 9 gallons (41L) of wort from boiling point to around 18 degrees centergrade in about 25 mins
KISS=Keep It Simple Stupid
Steve
sledgehammer
Brewer

Postby RidleyRumpus » Fri Dec 28, 2018 00:18

RidleyRumpus
Brewer

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Fri Dec 28, 2018 08:41

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin
INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby sledgehammer » Fri Dec 28, 2018 16:02

sledgehammer
Brewer

Immersion, Counterflow or Plate Chiller?

Postby LeeH » Sat Dec 29, 2018 01:42

Plate chiller, they are no hassle to clean. Just CIP with your pump or soak in bucket of HOT PBW or cold Anti formin S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To monitor my latest fermentation Black IPA
To view my new AG build
Keg 1: Berliner Weisse
Keg 2: APA
Keg 3: Stout (Nitro)
Keg 4: Empty
LeeH
Brewer

Postby RidleyRumpus » Sat Dec 29, 2018 15:03

RidleyRumpus
Brewer

Postby LeeH » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:05

Clean in place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To monitor my latest fermentation Black IPA
To view my new AG build
Keg 1: Berliner Weisse
Keg 2: APA
Keg 3: Stout (Nitro)
Keg 4: Empty
LeeH
Brewer