3 vessel setup - moving to GF. Keep old gear?

Postby ockelford » Wed Mar 07, 2018 13:42

Dear All,

I've loved brewing on my 3 vessel system. In fact, I was just planning on upgrading all the valves to stainless and adding cam locks...

But the fact is that I have a small house, and while my wife is positively supportive of my hobby, brew days are just too hard. If I had a garage, its a no brainer - but a 3sqm spare WC is just too cramped and clean up is too hard. Also, I'm very busy at work, so money isn't an imendiate problem if I buy one. I've heard such great things about the GF, so I'm gonna jump.

Question is - has anyone here ever gone back from a GF? Should I keep my 50L boiler, 33 litre HLT and Thermo Mash Tun (all bergman pots) / control panel / pumps (stainless mag pumpa and solar pump / mega immersion chiller, or should I just get shut of the lot. Also, where would I sell it? I'm happy to lose it all at a loss, as its been fun and I need the space. I reckon there's £400+ and a load of work and bits and pieces of stuff chucked in. Would anyone be interested in all that for £200 or am I best hanging on to it?

Still mulling the fate of the 3v, your thoughts are appreciated.

Rob
ockelford
Brewer

Re: 3 vessel setup - moving to GF. Keep old gear?

Postby MarkF » Wed Mar 07, 2018 17:14

I have never had a 3 vessel system, not enough room, but I have a Grainfather, the only limit is the batch size, 23 litre is right on the limit, in the winter with boil off rates high, you can get around that but I think 27 is about the max. So if you want bigger batches keep the 3 vessel system. :)
MarkF
Brewer

Postby Steviebobs1983 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 23:15

ockelford wrote:Dear All,

I've loved brewing on my 3 vessel system. In fact, I was just planning on upgrading all the valves to stainless and adding cam locks...

But the fact is that I have a small house, and while my wife is positively supportive of my hobby, brew days are just too hard. If I had a garage, its a no brainer - but a 3sqm spare WC is just too cramped and clean up is too hard. Also, I'm very busy at work, so money isn't an imendiate problem if I buy one. I've heard such great things about the GF, so I'm gonna jump.

Question is - has anyone here ever gone back from a GF? Should I keep my 50L boiler, 33 litre HLT and Thermo Mash Tun (all bergman pots) / control panel / pumps (stainless mag pumpa and solar pump / mega immersion chiller, or should I just get shut of the lot. Also, where would I sell it? I'm happy to lose it all at a loss, as its been fun and I need the space. I reckon there's £400+ and a load of work and bits and pieces of stuff chucked in. Would anyone be interested in all that for £200 or am I best hanging on to it?

Still mulling the fate of the 3v, your thoughts are appreciated.

Rob
I have a GF and it's great but it does have it's flaws. Why don't you try a few batches before flogging your old gear as there might be some bits worth keeping (hop spider if you have one) I would keep your pumps if you can though. The pump on the GF can be a bit temperamental and it would be good to have a back-up just in case.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Steviebobs1983
Brewer

Postby ockelford » Thu Mar 08, 2018 09:38

Hi chaps,

Thanks for feedback. Got it yesterday, and set it up in the afternoon.

I like what I see and its great that the app is so easy and sensible - brings recipes right in from xml (Brewer's friend), no stress!

I'm gonna try it tomorrow. Pumps can be kept, probably a 30L HLT too. TBH the old gear can live in the cellar in an airtight bag, as long as it isn't in the way. The only issue I have is the overflow inlet- it doesn't slide over the overflow pipe - is this normal?

R
ockelford
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:27

I don't like this one bit! :hmm:
Where are the photos! :rofl:

Can you tell I'm jealous?!?
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby ockelford » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:11

Here's the old gear, pile up ready for packing away.

existingsetup.jpg
existingsetup.jpg (210.26 KiB) Viewed 1178 times

There are plenty of grainfathers online you don't need to see another. Annoyingly though, it seems that there is a manufacturing fault on theoverflow pipe- the outlet thingy doesn't slide over the end of the overflow- so I can't use it. Until I get that sorted, I've basically got a really expensive tea urn!

And I've got yeast ready for Saturday. Oh well, will have to work take a day off next week instead.

R
ockelford
Brewer

Postby Steviebobs1983 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:42

ockelford wrote:Here's the old gear, pile up ready for packing away.

existingsetup.jpg

There are plenty of grainfathers online you don't need to see another. Annoyingly though, it seems that there is a manufacturing fault on theoverflow pipe- the outlet thingy doesn't slide over the end of the overflow- so I can't use it. Until I get that sorted, I've basically got a really expensive tea urn!

And I've got yeast ready for Saturday. Oh well, will have to work take a day off next week instead.

R
Not sure what you mean about the outlet thingy. Surely there's got to be a workaround? The recirculation should work without it if you can cover the hole in the base plate with a mesh of some kind. It shouldn't overflow much anyway unless you've got a stuck mash/sparge.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Steviebobs1983
Brewer

Postby BarnsleyBrewer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 16:40

Wasn't a shed an option?

"Brewing Fine Ales in Barnsley Since 1984"
- - - - - - - 30 years (1984 - 2014)- - - - - - -
Pints Brewed in 2018......... 416
Pints brewed in 2017.. 416
Pints brewed in 2016.. 208
Pints brewed in 2015.. 624
Pints brewed in 2014.. 832
BarnsleyBrewer
Brewer

Postby MarkF » Thu Mar 08, 2018 16:56

Stick a piccy up of the part you are struggling with?

The overflow pipe is bolted onto the bottom mesh plate, then the height adjustable pipe is pushed over this from the top with the springs at the bottom, then you have the grain stopper which slides inside.
MarkF
Brewer

Postby ockelford » Thu Mar 08, 2018 19:32

MarkF wrote:Stick a piccy up of the part you are struggling with?

The overflow pipe is bolted onto the bottom mesh plate, then the height adjustable pipe is pushed over this from the top with the springs at the bottom, then you have the grain stopper which slides inside.

The issue is that the height adjustable pipe won't slot into the removal 'plug hole' part that sits in the mesh. I found a hack with a 1" length of silicon tubing, ao may brew Saturday. Otherwise they will replace one or both parts on Monday.
ockelford
Brewer

Postby ockelford » Thu Mar 08, 2018 19:35

BarnsleyBrewer wrote:Wasn't a shed an option?

I wish. If I had a shed or garage, no brainer, but there is no outside space here to my house.
ockelford
Brewer

Postby MarkF » Fri Mar 09, 2018 14:11

ockelford wrote:
MarkF wrote:Stick a piccy up of the part you are struggling with?

The issue is that the height adjustable pipe won't slot into the removal 'plug hole' part that sits in the mesh. I found a hack with a 1" length of silicon tubing, ao may brew Saturday. Otherwise they will replace one or both parts on Monday.

Okay, glad you are getting it sorted, but did you mean slot over as it doesn't go inside.
MarkF
Brewer

Postby FUBAR » Sat Mar 10, 2018 01:06

Well I would say that if someone wants a 3V system £200 would be an absolute bargain for that lot.Coming from another GF owner that also has an 80 litre 3V thermopot brewery,although I like the simplicity,speed & compactness of the GF despite its faults.I keep the 3V system because I often feel the hankering to use it,space and time being the limiting factors.Both could change so as the 3V doesn't eat or drink,so costs nothing to keep...............mine is going nowhere !!!!! .

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me- Winston Churchill.
FUBAR
Brewer

Postby aamcle » Sat Mar 10, 2018 09:19

I tried to sell a Buffalo 40 litre based Biab rig complete with pump and controller for less than the cost of the build but no sale.

Your gear would probably be the same so unless you want to more or less give it away KEEP IT!

aamcle
aamcle
Brewer