Forced cellar revamp

Postby Monte Cristo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 22:30

After a catastrophic flood into my cellar at the end of May which destroyed a fair bit of my equipment, i thought it was time to have a revamp.
As you can see from the pics the dark grey water was RAW SEWAGE forced up my cellar drains by a torrential downpour, it filled the light well up and blew the cellar window in, filling my cellar to about 2ft deep in a filthy stinking turd filled mess :ill:
window.jpg
window.jpg (98.16 KiB) Viewed 762 times

That's the blown in window and you can see the tide mark on one of my fridges.

flood1.jpg
flood1.jpg (85.91 KiB) Viewed 762 times

Lots of beer floating and submerged in sh*te plus empty bottles to reuse I couldn't face cleaning them out after that so they went to the bottle bank.

flood2.jpg
flood2.jpg (68.66 KiB) Viewed 762 times

The above pic is after i had part drained it, washer, tumble dryer, 2x Brew fridges and dehumidifier ruined as well as window, all my bottling equipment plus other items like boots.

I contacted Yorkshire Water about it who initially wanted me to claim on my house insurance, at this point the lady on the phone got both barrels as i told her "i pay you to take it away i don't want it back with bloody interest!" all said in an apoplectic tone.

Interestingly, due to the 1991 water act water companies are not responsible for sewage flooding your property! :shock:

I managed to get a significant increase on their initial offer of compensation which covered the replacement of most of the damaged goods and window.

So along with new white goods which have been raised up (shouldn't happen again as new window will hold it back if it happens again but not taking any chances) it's had the floor paint which was lifting anyway ground off, this seemed like a good idea at the time but the dust was so thick i couldn't see the grinder :o
The floor has been painted with a 2 pack epoxy paint (wife picked colour) which i am pleased with so far. All shelving rebuilt lights added and painted as well as a new sink unit, walls and ceiling repainted, pipes boxed in.
shelving.jpg
shelving.jpg (69.03 KiB) Viewed 762 times
fridges-new.jpg
fridges-new.jpg (51.52 KiB) Viewed 762 times
sink.jpg
sink.jpg (62.65 KiB) Viewed 762 times

Hopefully it won't happen again and i can get back to brewing now that i have built up a replacement stock of bottles
Cheers Chaps :cheers1:

Next Brew AG. 58
Monte Cristo
Brewer

Re: Forced cellar revamp

Postby Dennis King » Wed Nov 22, 2017 22:55

Glad you got it sorted, cellar looks good.
Dennis King

Postby Monte Cristo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 23:04

Dennis King wrote:Glad you got it sorted, cellar looks good.

Cheers Dennis I can get back to the important stuff now - brewing!

Next Brew AG. 58
Monte Cristo
Brewer

Postby Brewzee » Fri Nov 24, 2017 07:25

Its the stuff of dreams man..two fridges ! I keep my malt mill, sack of malt, mash tun, two milk churns and a boiler behind the sofa in the living room.
How do you post pictures btw when Ive tried I get..."" am I supposed to type the file path or somthing in there.
Brewzee
Brewer

Postby Monte Cristo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 09:07

Brewzee wrote:Its the stuff of dreams man..two fridges ! I keep my malt mill, sack of malt, mash tun, two milk churns and a boiler behind the sofa in the living room.
How do you post pictures btw when Ive tried I get..."" am I supposed to type the file path or somthing in there.

If it’s any consolation my fv’s are in the bathroom and malt sack in one of the bedrooms.
It depends on where you post from to upload images, from a laptop there is a tab at the bottom of the window to upload attachment - I think the image has to be below 256kb, once uploaded select a position for the image in your text and then hit the place inline button, to view the image in your post press the preview button at the bottom of the post.
That’s how I do it, hopefully that make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next Brew AG. 58
Monte Cristo
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 17:24

Looking good. Smart to have the fridges and stuff clear of the floor in case of another leak.

You said you'd used special floor paint, is that to tank the floor or just to be hard-wearing like you see in garages?

Do you have your walls tanked already... I have a similar looking cellar and it's not damp in the air but all the paint is bubbling through from the bricks, edges of the floor are damp, etc. I'd love to scour it and have it nice and dry for brewing but would rather DIY than do a full tanked system for £1000s.
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby BarnsleyBrewer » Fri Nov 24, 2017 18:00

Must be terrible, I cannot appreciate the upset this must cause with me living quite high up and hopefully excluded from these events. A few years ago when there was floods lower down in the Dearne valley near us it was around 2m up their houses...

Glad you got it sorted and hopefully it'll never happen again,, Cellar looks great BTW.

"Brewing Fine Ales in Barnsley Since 1984"
- - - - - - - 30 years (1984 - 2014)- - - - - - -
Pints Brewed in 2018......... 104
Pints brewed in 2017.. 416
Pints brewed in 2016.. 208
Pints brewed in 2015.. 624
Pints brewed in 2014.. 832
BarnsleyBrewer
Brewer

Postby Monte Cristo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 18:34

MrBoy wrote:Looking good. Smart to have the fridges and stuff clear of the floor in case of another leak.

You said you'd used special floor paint, is that to tank the floor or just to be hard-wearing like you see in garages?

Do you have your walls tanked already... I have a similar looking cellar and it's not damp in the air but all the paint is bubbling through from the bricks, edges of the floor are damp, etc. I'd love to scour it and have it nice and dry for brewing but would rather DIY than do a full tanked system for £1000s.

I was considering tanking the walls as the paint does bubble but it’s nothing that a coat of paint doesn’t sort every few years.
The new upvc window has dried the cellar out noticeably with the improved ventilation.
The paint is a hard wearing type I even added an aggregate into the paint on the steps so it isn’t slippy. It’s also damp tolerant so you can paint it onto new or damp dry concrete, it takes about a week to fully cure though.

Next Brew AG. 58
Monte Cristo
Brewer

Postby Monte Cristo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 18:42

BarnsleyBrewer wrote:Must be terrible, I cannot appreciate the upset this must cause with me living quite high up and hopefully excluded from these events. A few years ago when there was floods lower down in the Dearne valley near us it was around 2m up their houses...

Glad you got it sorted and hopefully it'll never happen again,, Cellar looks great BTW.

The daft thing is BB is that I do live on a hill!
My house is the last one to have a cellar that was the problem as the drains in the cellar are probably only slightly higher than the sewer.
I did tell Yorkshire water that they may need to fit a larger sewer so this didn’t happen again that’s probably why they raised their offer as a damn slight cheaper.

Next Brew AG. 58
Monte Cristo
Brewer

Postby BarnsleyBrewer » Fri Nov 24, 2017 23:35

That's well bad pal, and as you said it's not just clean water that comes in it's raw sewage.... :vomit:

"Brewing Fine Ales in Barnsley Since 1984"
- - - - - - - 30 years (1984 - 2014)- - - - - - -
Pints Brewed in 2018......... 104
Pints brewed in 2017.. 416
Pints brewed in 2016.. 208
Pints brewed in 2015.. 624
Pints brewed in 2014.. 832
BarnsleyBrewer
Brewer