Universal poppets

Postby beer buddah » Thu Sep 21, 2017 20:47

Has anyone else noticed the cheaper Universal poppets eat seals...bend the dip tube lips and sometimes have not enough force to push the pin open in gas connection.
The start of the spring get bent outward as seen in pic which catches inside posts and bend the lip which then eats the seals. Cheaper to buy the expensive poppetsImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
beer buddah
Brewer

Re: Universal poppets

Postby Brewedout » Sun Sep 24, 2017 23:52

Can't say I've found that happens...yet. What brand of corny are you using?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Brewedout
Brewer

Postby PhatFil » Mon Sep 25, 2017 01:57

thats why they are Universal, they cater for most of the nominally different post types. it seems yours may have a slightly shorter barrel within which to sit. you could try compressing it beyond expected compression to drop the tension it applies in use to both reduce the dip tube and oring wear as well as help make it work ;) Tho your probably right get the right ones for your posts if you can..

sometimes have not enough force to push the pin open in gas connection.

do you mean when the gas in disconnect is connected the poppet fails to open?? that would indicate the poppets not sitting correctly possibly due to wobbly deformed seat its created for itself, a hard SS shim washer may help but first I would try using black nitrile o-rings for the dip tubes, they are harder and should wear harder too..

good luck hopefully once solved you can return to using the kegs without pulling posts too often, the post threads are the weakest link in the 'corny chain' thread one with a moments lack of thought or attention lapse and you can ruin a keg in a few seconds,,
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby beer buddah » Tue Sep 26, 2017 23:04

I have various makes of keg. I taught it would be handier to remove all poppets and replace with one type but better option is to use the original make poppets that are 3 times more expensive but don't cause the issues I have found. You get what you pay for.

Is there a good guide on how to remove original poppets for cleaning and getting them back in without causing them damage ?
beer buddah
Brewer

Postby PeeBee » Mon Oct 02, 2017 09:28

I did a sort of (short) guide last year, but it turned into an argument for using universal poppets:

http://forum.craftbrewing.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=10701#p141422

But the universal poppets you seem to have haven't been finished properly. The ones I get have the spring ends ground flat (as any spring should be). Here they are (packs of 4 poppets for two kegs): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4pcs-Universal-Poppet-Valve-Draft-Beer-Parts-Fits-Ball-Pin-Lock-Style-Keg-Post-/332286782124?epid=1394310928&hash=item4d5dd5eaac:g:U38AAOSwbiFZVcD2.
PeeBee
Brewer

Postby Springer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 18:45

Thanks for that PB, my conies need a spank up, there is a big problem with cornies in my case .....................not as easy to ration out the beer when drinking at home alone, bottles much safer :)
S

It's a dog life :D
Springer
Brewer

Postby beer buddah » Tue Oct 03, 2017 01:07

Fair play to you eyes PeeBee. I know what to look for now.

PeeBee did you find the correct o rings for the poppets ?
beer buddah
Brewer

Postby PeeBee » Tue Oct 03, 2017 09:03

beer buddah wrote:Fair play to you eyes PeeBee. I know what to look for now.

PeeBee did you find the correct o rings for the poppets ?

I found there was two sizes. And I guess the designs differ so much between manufactures there might be more. One reason I gave up and went with "universal" poppets.

BS007
BS008

It was in last year's post I linked.
PeeBee
Brewer

Postby PeeBee » Tue Oct 03, 2017 09:23

Springer wrote:Thanks for that PB, my conies need a spank up, ...

I think that pooch you use as an avatar would prefer to get its teeth into a coney rather than spank it. Okay, typo but:

Reminds me of one of my favourite questions: "What is the name for a baby rabbit?" ...

No right answer. The question should be "What is the name for an adult rabbit?". But I think you need to be even older than we are to be comfortable with that.
PeeBee
Brewer

Postby PeeBee » Tue Oct 03, 2017 18:20

Springer wrote:... there is a big problem with cornies in my case .....................not as easy to ration out the beer when drinking at home alone, bottles much safer :)
S

I've got a solution for that. But while the solution was very effective, I'm finding it wearing off after five years (but the "side-effects" continue unabated). I'll try to recreate a procedure for my "cure" for anyone (daft enough) to try:

1. Find a suitable tree (or anything else with suitable horizontal projections). You'll need a step-ladder, a rope and a mate with a sharp knife. I'm NOT going to suggest tying the rope around the neck by the way.

2. Tie your ankles to a horizontal branch such that when dangling from the branch your head is about 6-10 feet off the ground. Good idea to tie wrists together to prevent cheating.

3. (OPTIONAL) Put on a crash helmet, an old horse-riding helmet that has out-of-date safety standards is ideal.

4. While dangling from branch instruct mate to cut the rope.

If all goes well you come to several weeks later with no desire to drink anything alcoholic. Or if you do have so much as half a pint the world will no-longer be a desirable place to be.
PeeBee
Brewer