Re: Fermentasaurus

Postby Rolfster » Wed Oct 04, 2017 07:46

Looks great! Thanks for the update...... I still want a few, but I'm not going to get any!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby ockelford » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:23

Thanks!

I'm very interested in this. Of course, I may add my own experience to this, my first (probably in a month now, will be a Belgian Wit, with camomile flowers, coriander and curacao orange peel, so I'm curious to see how this pans out. Not sure if the camomile flowers will cause an issue in with the float / outlet system.

R
ockelford
Brewer

Postby beer buddah » Wed Oct 04, 2017 13:15

You might want one of those stainless Hop balls to pack flowers into!
If you can add to this thread that would great. Keep it all on one place and more opinions better than one.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
beer buddah
Brewer

Postby ockelford » Tue Dec 19, 2017 21:26

OK! I have a brew on. Beglian wit, basically a Hoegaarden clone, with 3 temp mash and curacao orange peel, camomile and coriander seed.

I dumped the whole boiler into it, then dumped the trub from the bottle, and replaced with a 1L sodastream bottle.

After 12 hours:

lovelykrausen.jpg
lovelykrausen.jpg (82.41 KiB) Viewed 732 times

But then I realised that I'd left the valve closed at the base, so opened it, and look what happened!

oops.jpg
oops.jpg (122.65 KiB) Viewed 732 times

So the lesson is to avoid stupid mistakes! Its been in a week, and the WLP400 isn't really dropping that fast, I think there may be a problem with filling the 1L bottle, but who knows, it may fill up fast!

Anyway, so far, taking samples, watching it brew and keeping oxygen out has been fantastic, I think its probably one of the best things you could nivest in, its a very nice toy, and the beer really should benefit, I think.

R
ockelford
Brewer

Postby f00b4r » Tue Dec 19, 2017 23:00

Just ordered one of these and was thinking about using a sodastream bottle, looks like you need to have a hole in the support to allow enough space to go this route then?
f00b4r
Brewer

Postby ockelford » Wed Dec 20, 2017 09:06

f00b4r wrote:Just ordered one of these and was thinking about using a sodastream bottle, looks like you need to have a hole in the support to allow enough space to go this route then?

Yeah, it goes "through the floor", so just happens to be fortunate that my setup accommodates it.

Overall experience with this is so far very good, and reports from others is that it really does benefiot beer flavour.

R
ockelford
Brewer

Postby beer buddah » Fri Mar 23, 2018 14:54

That collection bottle is it original bottle or regular bottle added ?
beer buddah
Brewer

Postby f00b4r » Fri Mar 23, 2018 15:02

beer buddah wrote:That collection bottle is it original bottle or regular bottle added ?

Thats a 1L soda strea, bottle in ockelford’s picture.
f00b4r
Brewer

Postby beer buddah » Fri Mar 23, 2018 15:04

Genius.....i was gonna order more original bottles.

beer buddah
Brewer

Postby beer buddah » Fri Mar 23, 2018 15:06

beer buddah wrote:Genius.....i was gonna order more original bottles.

My four hours sleep from night shift.....i should have read post correctly

beer buddah
Brewer

Postby f00b4r » Sat Mar 24, 2018 15:25

I reckon that's fair enough on that little sleep. :)
For those that bought this for making really hoppy beers, I came across an idea on an Aussie forum thread about the fermentasaurus and thought it was a great idea.

Essentially the guy dry hops with with large spacious hop bags using magnets in a closed system so no O2 is added after start of ferment. Apparently the magnets in the dry hopping bag are encased in silicone but are also at the top of the bags anyway so don't go in the beer (a couple of SS screws weigh each bag down). The dry hop bags are added at pitching but kept out of the beer until ready to dry hop and then can be lifted out from the beer during crash chilling and held above the beer, also letting any excess beer drip out from the hops (given that it should be mostly CO2 in the headspace splashing shouldn't be an issue anyway).
He also wraps the magnets inside in muslin(?) and the ones on the outside in a small square of an old towel to avoid scratching.

It might also be good for conical/brewbucket users as the lid is often very close to the ceiling of the fridge so dry hopping can be very awkward.
f00b4r
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Sun Mar 25, 2018 14:25

f00b4r wrote:I reckon that's fair enough on that little sleep. :)
For those that bought this for making really hoppy beers, I came across an idea on an Aussie forum thread about the fermentasaurus and thought it was a great idea.

Essentially the guy dry hops with with large spacious hop bags using magnets in a closed system so no O2 is added after start of ferment. Apparently the magnets in the dry hopping bag are encased in silicone but are also at the top of the bags anyway so don't go in the beer (a couple of SS screws weigh each bag down). The dry hop bags are added at pitching but kept out of the beer until ready to dry hop and then can be lifted out from the beer during crash chilling and held above the beer, also letting any excess beer drip out from the hops (given that it should be mostly CO2 in the headspace splashing shouldn't be an issue anyway).
He also wraps the magnets inside in muslin(?) and the ones on the outside in a small square of an old towel to avoid scratching.

It might also be good for conical/brewbucket users as the lid is often very close to the ceiling of the fridge so dry hopping can be very awkward.

That's a great idea!
Thank you for sharing what you found!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Oldstunty » Sun Mar 25, 2018 15:41

Is there a worry about clear fv's and light effecting the hops (skunking)?
Or is this an old wives tale?
If it is an old wives tale, I so want one of these!

Cheers,
Jon.

I enjoy a glass of wine each night for its health benefits. The other glasses are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
Oldstunty
Brewer

Postby f00b4r » Sun Mar 25, 2018 16:19

Yes you need to use them in a fermenting fridge or buy one of the jackets for them.
f00b4r
Brewer

Postby Oldstunty » Sun Mar 25, 2018 21:43

f00b4r wrote:Yes you need to use them in a fermenting fridge or buy one of the jackets for them.

I'd better get saving then!!

Cheers,
Jon.

I enjoy a glass of wine each night for its health benefits. The other glasses are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
Oldstunty
Brewer

Previous