HLT or HERMS pot?

Postby Gethin79 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 19:52

So, I'm planning my new brewery build and am a little confused over one point.

Do I install a HERMS coil in my HLT, or do I get a separate smaller pot?

I'm intending to use my existing 70l boiler as my new HLT, and converting it from gas to electric. My concern is how quickly I can get the HLT temperature to raise to raise the mash temperature in the case of a stepped mash and for mashout. Obviously a smaller pot would enable a quicker temperature change, but is an additional cost.

I would intend on installing 2 x 2.4kW elements in the HLT.

Am I wasting money by getting an additional smaller pot, or would you consider this the way to go?

All opinions very welcome! :thumb:
Gethin79
Brewer

Re: HLT or HERMS pot?

Postby Joe1002 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 19:58

From what I understand a much smaller (kitchen kettle size) pot is required as it will react to the temperature changes more rapidly. Makes sense really, less water to heat so it will do it a lot more quickly.

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Joe1002

Postby Gethin79 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 20:03

That's what I was thinking. Was looking at a lot of HERMS builds that use the HLT, but just couldn't figure how that quantity of water could react quick enough.

I think I'll look into a smaller pot...stainless, of course!! Cheers mate!
Gethin79
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Mon Apr 03, 2017 22:14

I think an asparagus pot is a good pot. I think it's because it's small but quite tall so you can get quite a few turns of coil in it.

I saw something that looked quite good in aldi the other day! But I'm not in the position to pimp my brewing equipment after up scaling to 100 liter vessels....
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Gethin79 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 22:20

I'll take a look, cheers. :thumb:
Gethin79
Brewer

Postby PhatFil » Tue Apr 04, 2017 03:21

Jabba over on Jims made a small copper coil that dropped neatly into the kitchen jug kettle, he then applied a pid to control the kettles power and had a tiny volume uberfast to respond to changes herms coil for a bargain basement cost.

If your on a shiny Kick ;) spend money on a SS coil as thats what the beer runs through ;)
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby pittsy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 07:10

I use a tall asparagus pot for mine , works a treat .But I only have 2 vessel plus small pot so no real hlt . It runs off a pid and I have the mash recirculating throughout the rest .When mashing you should raise the temp around 1c per minute btw .
pittsy
Brewer

Postby HTH1975 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 07:46

PhatFil wrote:Jabba over on Jims made a small copper coil that dropped neatly into the kitchen jug kettle, he then applied a pid to control the kettles power and had a tiny volume uberfast to respond to changes herms coil for a bargain basement cost.

If your on a shiny Kick ;) spend money on a SS coil as thats what the beer runs through ;)

That idea is bordering on genius - I can see a cheap way into this and might well try it.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed (need to update this figure)
Drinking: Landlord clone
Conditioning: ciders from 2016, hedgerow barrolo, 1914 Courage RIS (10%).
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 09:42

There are several designs on here using a kettle as a HERMS pot. I still need to work on my 6L Thermobox conversion to a HERMS pot. Bear in mind that you don't actually need a huge length of copper in the coil, 1 to 2 metres is plenty :thumb:

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby thepatchworkdoll » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:54

www.dropbox.com/s/ww4l8xgyj4lxhyt/DSCI0003.JPG?dl=0
Heres a picture of my Herms in a Tesco cheap kettle
Regards
Patch
thepatchworkdoll
Brewer

Postby john luc » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:25

Don't go down the road of putting the HERMs coil in the HLT as it does not work unless you have a shit load of energy to drive the temperature of the HLT. A small pot of a few liters of water is best as you can effect a quicker change of temperature in the wort in the coil as it passes through. I know a lad who built a fantastic shiny Stainless Steel 3 pot set up and had his coil in his 50 liter HLT,he does not like it when I refer to the fact that the street lights dim when he switches on his 11 Kw's to run it along with his 5.5 Kw's running his Boil Kettle. :rofl:
john luc
Brewer

Postby PeeBee » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:41

If you want another way of going about it...

I too was having concerns about the most versatile build when putting together my brewery a couple of years ago. I was also thinking about whether RIMS was a better way to go. Small HERMS pots just seemed like more paraphernalia to have cluttering the place up. And at the time I was troubled how I was going to fit a fairly large calibre coil (15mm, I was convinced 10mm would just bung up) into the HLT.

My solution was to fabricate the heat exchanger externally to the HLT with a jacket into which water from the HLT (or mains, so as to be a cooler too) was pumped. And the heat exchanger incorporated an element so it could be run as a RIMS system too (or "hybrid").

Results here http://forum.craftbrewing.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10464 which might spark off some ideas?
PeeBee
Brewer

Postby Gethin79 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 19:50

Cheers all. I've taken a look on Amazon and found some fairly decent asparagus pots that I reckon would do the job nicely.

In particular a 3l or 4.2l one. I think I'll go for the slightly larger one to make sure I can get everything in it! Last question (probably, but maybe not..) what size pipe should I be looking at using for the HERMS coil. Obviously smaller microbore copper tubing will be easier to form, but will that allow enough flow?
Gethin79
Brewer

Postby pittsy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 20:16

You want 10mm , its the biggest you can reasonably use . In a perfect world you'd have 15mm pipe with full bore fittings and 15mm silicone so as not to create bubbles from the pump but 10mm will do fine .
pittsy
Brewer

Postby Gethin79 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 20:19

Perfect. Cheers mate! :thumb:
Gethin79
Brewer