Pressure barrel question

Postby tonyhibbett » Tue Feb 14, 2017 13:46

I primed a batch of beer and left it to condition for at least a month in a new pressure barrel. Normally I leave it for 2 weeks. When attempting to draw the first pint, I found there was very little pressure, even though the valve and seal were found to be sound. I can only assume that carbon dioxide had been dissolved in the liquid over time. To test this theory, I opened a bottle of 6 month old beer of the same kind and found that the pressure was also slight.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Re: Pressure barrel question

Postby robwalker » Tue Feb 14, 2017 16:38

I had the same issue but regassing sorted it. Are you keeping it in the cool? We've had some cooollddd nights!
robwalker
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:34

Yes I moved it outside for 2 days. This would significantly reduce pressure. It's a technique I use for disgorging sediment from sparkling wine. I injected a bulb of co2 which has solved the matter. I had used 60 g of priming sugar for 5 gallons of Wherry but the Caxton real ale kit I just started recommends 85 g.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Postby tonyhibbett » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:47

When I removed the bulb, out came the central tube from the valve, which has never happened before. This turns out to be a blessing in disguise, because without this tube, the valve accepts an m30 cylinder, which is a more economical way off injecting co2.
tonyhibbett
Brewer