malt mill

Postby haggis51 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 08:36

For those of you that have your own grain crushers, what gap do you set your rollers at please?
Stuart
haggis51
Brewer

Re: malt mill

Postby lari » Wed Feb 08, 2017 09:48

like anything in brewing you won’t find straight answer.
some will say it doesn’t matter especially BIABers - crush as fine as possible.
some, including me will say it matters - I crush just enough to crack the grain so the husk stays intact.
gap setting also varies, some grains are smaller, some are bigger, wheat gets different gap setting as well.
it all depends! brew on.
lari
Brewer

Postby Saccharomyces » Wed Feb 08, 2017 09:59

I'd suggest starting at 0.9mm and adjusting up if you have sparging problems, down if the efficiency is noticeably lower than with shop-bought malt, or if you condition the malt beforehand. Conditioning with water let's you crush a bit more aggressively.

For roasted malt in a stout, I set it to 0.3-0.4 mm, turning it in to a powder. Just my preference!

You are using a feeler gauge, right, not the settings on the mill?
Saccharomyces
Brewer

Postby tazuk » Sat Feb 18, 2017 22:55

some say use a credit card to set gap

tazuk
Brewer

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Sun Feb 19, 2017 09:08

haggis51 wrote:For those of you that have your own grain crushers, what gap do you set your rollers at please?
Stuart

1.2 mm works for me.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin
INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby jkp » Mon Feb 20, 2017 05:29

anyone wet their grains before milling? What are the advantages of doing this?

jkp
Brewer

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Mon Feb 20, 2017 08:30

jkp wrote:anyone wet their grains before milling? What are the advantages of doing this?

Don't know about advantages but I can think of a few disadvantages. Rusty crusher and clogged rollers are two that spring to mind.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin
INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby jkp » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:50

INDIAPALEALE wrote:
jkp wrote:anyone wet their grains before milling? What are the advantages of doing this?

Don't know about advantages but I can think of a few disadvantages. Rusty crusher and clogged rollers are two that spring to mind.

Yes rusting the grinding plate is the main reason I've not tried it.

Apparently you can get better efficiency, but I'm not exactly sure how. Also I'd imagine there would be less dust in the air from grinding, which would be a good thing.

jkp
Brewer

Postby Saccharomyces » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:48

The grain isn't wet enough to clog or rust the mill - the technique is called malt conditioning and is different to milling 'wet'.

The reason it gives higher mash efficiency and faster conversion is the husk gets more supple and therefore stays in one piece during crushing rather than getting shredded. This means you can run a narrower gap and finer crush.
Saccharomyces
Brewer

Postby jkp » Mon Feb 20, 2017 16:53

Saccharomyces wrote:The grain isn't wet enough to clog or rust the mill - the technique is called malt conditioning and is different to milling 'wet'.

The reason it gives higher mash efficiency and faster conversion is the husk gets more supple and therefore stays in one piece during crushing rather than getting shredded. This means you can run a narrower gap and finer crush.

Ok, so I should just give the grain a light spray to moisten the husk. Then mill a little finer than usual. Is that right?

jkp
Brewer

Postby vacant » Mon Feb 20, 2017 17:22

jkp wrote:Ok, so I should just give the grain a light spray to moisten the husk. Then mill a little finer than usual. Is that right?

It sounds like you want to do this to increase efficiency? If I was milling, I'd want to know what sort of percentage I could expect. It would have to be significant to persuade me not to just chuck in a few extra handfuls of malt and save myself some work.

Anyway, results of an experiment would be interesting.

My future plans include not much
vacant
Brewer

Postby Saccharomyces » Mon Feb 20, 2017 17:36

The biggest changes from dry milling were (in my experience):

Better lautering and clearer wort (preboil)
Less dust when grinding
1-2% better brew house efficiency

I have yet to determine if the time taken to condition the malt is regained through less recirculation of the mash, some days it seems so, other times not so much!
Saccharomyces
Brewer