Conical heating

Postby Gordito » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:52

I am tempted to buy myself a conical ferment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gordito
Brewer

Re: Conical heating

Postby PhatFil » Wed Feb 01, 2017 15:02

Imho conicals have little value beyond eye candy @ the 5 gallon brew size.

but if you want one go for it, just dont spend much more than £10 per litre of volume unless you get built in temp control (hex jacket or coil)

Insulation should be sufficient to retain the heat generated by the yeast and maintain a brew temp, however chilling will probably be necessary for most of the year, either storing in a commercial sized fridge or employing a shelf chiller to feed a hex coil.
PhatFil
Brewer

Re: Conical heating

Postby Kev888 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 17:01

If you are perfectly happy for the beer to sit on the yeast (and any break etc) and never want to collect slurry then its likely the extra bulk and cost of a conical wouldn't be warranted, except as a bit of bling. Conversely, if you would like to separate wort/beer from sediment or collect slurry then (whilst this can be done in other ways) conicals are really rather nice tools for the job.

I need to warm mine in winter, except during the exothermic stage of fermentation when it needs cooling. Previously, when used in an unheated garage it sometimes needed heating throughout the fermentation cycle. Conversely, it needs mostly just cooling in summer. So depending upon your situation, and whether you want to crash cool, both may be needed.

Some people use large larder fridges quite successfully, with heater added and a thermostatic controller. Or you can stick an electric heat pad or belt to the cone for warming - above the yeast/sediment, so as not to encourage autolysis flavours. Immersed coils through which coolant or warm water are recirculated are an efficient method, some brands have these as options, several people have DIYed their own, powered by a beer cooler or other cold/ice bath. A really nice option (but rare and costly at homebrew scales) are water-jacketed fermenters.

To offer any more than very general responses though, we're probably going to need more detail than the OP...

Kev
Kev888
Brewer