Recirculation pump

Postby Anneon » Wed Jan 25, 2017 14:27

Can someone please recommend a relatively cheap mash recirculation pump please? I intend to use it with my false bottomed mash tun for 20L brews.

Ta.
Anneon
Brewer

Re: Recirculation pump

Postby Diggerg » Wed Jan 25, 2017 14:42

12volt solar pump. I use one on my biab system.

Fermenting 15ltrs Hobgoblin clone AG#2
Conditioning 12ltrs Irish Red AG#1
Drinking Strawberry and kiwi TC
Diggerg
Brewer

Postby HTH1975 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 20:13

I use this one, it comes with hose barbs too... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301818219657

It's got me through 16 AG brews last year. Just wash it through after use.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed
Drinking: store-bought beer as my bar is dry
Conditioning: choc-coffee oatmeal wheat stout, various ciders, cherry 'brett' brown ale, imperial Pilsner.
Fermenting: Bock (6.5%), IPA (5.5%), Pale Ale (4.5)
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby AFewTooMany » Thu Jan 26, 2017 18:13

Use a 24v solar pump myself. A bit more grunt and flow rate than the 12v ones
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272488689209

Work is the curse of the drinking classes
AFewTooMany
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Thu Jan 26, 2017 21:33

I got mine from homebrew angel. Good service and the pump has been great, but I've only used it a few time.... not as cheap as the above posts but they have a range.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Kev888 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:05

Unfortunately I've had my differences with the little brown 12v pumps, impressive as they are for the size and price. They didn't deal well with grain particles getting around the shaft and aren't designed to be easily disassembled (to that level) for cleaning. The higher powered ones also overheated when pumping boiling wort on hot days, though mash temperatures weren't a problem. I still think they're excellent for HLT duties.

So for me, one who's wet parts can be properly disassembled and cleaned out would be preferable. Unfortunately I can't recommend a cheap model from personal experience (I got an over-priced one instead).

Kev
Kev888
Brewer

Postby HTH1975 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 13:49

The solar pump I use has so far been bulletproof - its waterproof, so you can fully submerge it for easy cleaning. I've taken it apart too, but it's mostly a sealed unit. I run it through some oxyclean then rinse with hot water then starsan and leave. Same again when I use it next. Been solid for 12 months now.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed
Drinking: store-bought beer as my bar is dry
Conditioning: choc-coffee oatmeal wheat stout, various ciders, cherry 'brett' brown ale, imperial Pilsner.
Fermenting: Bock (6.5%), IPA (5.5%), Pale Ale (4.5)
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 27, 2017 15:58

HTH1975 wrote:The solar pump I use has so far been bulletproof - its waterproof, so you can fully submerge it for easy cleaning. I've taken it apart too, but it's mostly a sealed unit. I run it through some oxyclean then rinse with hot water then starsan and leave. Same again when I use it next. Been solid for 12 months now.

Good to hear. I've three such pumps. That used only with water from the HLT for mash and sparge has worked perfectly for well over a year. However the other two have suffered problems.

Both were used recycling wort to occasionally stop and require strip down and clean in addition to those between brews. Eventually one refused to restart and while it could just be due to imperfect reassembly, it's now out of service. The other has been kept servicable after repiping my system so that water from the HLT can occasionally be pumped through the wort pump while brewing to clean and flush it without need to disconnect it. However, brewing was felt as being done on a bit of a wing and a prayer.

More recently I got one of these which would seem to have totally eliminated such problems.
Eric
Brewer

Postby Kev888 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 15:06

HTH1975 wrote:The solar pump I use has so far been bulletproof - its waterproof, so you can fully submerge it for easy cleaning. I've taken it apart too, but it's mostly a sealed unit. I run it through some oxyclean then rinse with hot water then starsan and leave. Same again when I use it next. Been solid for 12 months now.

Mine worked very well initially too, I hope yours continue - they are great little things when all is well. The one I used for clean HLT water was a very good pairing.

Unfortunately I have to disagree about the easy cleaning though. After one of mine started to struggle, I recirculated hot PBW for 'many' hours with no improvement; upon disassembling there were grain particles found still around the magnet. Inspection of another showed the same. The bearing behind the impeller isn't sealed, yet it creates a back-water that is hard to flush out, and whilst the bearing can be dug out with care it isn't designed to be easily/regularly removed for manual cleaning.

That is just a reliability issue for pre-boil use, but has infection-related concerns for post boil use. So I extended the time that boiling wort was recirculated in the hope this would help, but I believe this contributed to the electronics failing later that summer. Mine were the higher power versions, so probably more prone to over-heating.

Perhaps if the pumps weren't used post-boil, as the OP intends, I would have been happier with them and certainly for the price they do well. Its just hard not to see the design as a compromise for where particles or thorough disinfecting are involved - when compared to the magnetically coupled impeller type (or those with sealed bearings) that have no such a back-water and are designed for regular and full disassembly of all the wet parts.

Kev
Kev888
Brewer

Postby tazuk » Sat Feb 18, 2017 22:58

12v solar pump and one of those 12v dimmer to controll flow

tazuk
Brewer

Postby Anneon » Wed Jun 21, 2017 14:48

decided to buy the solar pump. Can anyone advise me what fittings I need to connect it to 10mm copper pipe via tubing?

Thanks.
Anneon
Brewer