carbonation issue.

Postby beer buddah » Thu Dec 22, 2016 01:59

I need to root cause this or the new bs is 5 Y it.

I have lactose stout and ipa in keg. I carbed as per usual 19 psi at 3.5oC I like that amount carbonation. I went to bottle from keg and both are fairly flat. Both kegs have gas as when I open relief valve plenty Co2. I replaced regulator same issue after 5 days 19 PSI. It can't be leak as Co2 bottle would be empty.

I upped psi to 30 psi and I'm OK for bottling. No idea what gone wrong. Why flat at 19 when always perfect before. I. Going to keg two beers tomorrow and carb at 19 psi same temperature for same time .

Has anyone had this issue before ?
beer buddah
Brewer

Re: carbonation issue.

Postby Sorcerers Apprentice » Sun Jan 22, 2017 08:45

Carbonation in beer is governed by a thing known as Henry's Law, which more or less states that at a constant temperature, the amount of gas absorbed by the beer is dependent upon the gas pressure exerted on the beer. If you're happy with the gas pressure then it must be temperature related? Are you sure it's constantly at 3.5C? If you are getting the correct carbonation level at a higher (partial ) pressure i.e.30 psi then it looks like the beer might be a few degrees warmer than you think?
The STC 1000 or whatever you use to control your fridge temperature may be out of calibration

https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/k ... enrys-law/
Edit: The temperature sensing probe may have detached itself from the keg and is measuring ambient temperature in the fridge, rather than the beer temperature. If it ends up lying close to the fridge evaporator, then it could be fooled into thinking that the fridge is colder than it actually is. (I had a similar but opposite problem lately, whereby the sensor has fallen off my fermenter and was lying beside the tube heater. The stc1000 thought the beer was at 20C but it was actually at about 12C and hadn't fully fermented in a week)
Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Sorcerers Apprentice
Brewer

Postby Kev888 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 21:34

Yes. Carbonation can become higher if the yeast weren't finished, but thats the opposite of your problem. If the beer itself is normal then (with force carbonation) reduced levels have to be down to either temperature of the beer itself being higher or pressure being lower than you believe, or insufficient time for it to reach equilibrium.

Though in practice, loss of carbonation en-route to the bottle, or some weirdness going on to affect how you perceive the carbonation, probably shouldn't be completely dismissed. Potentially if temperatures had risen temporarily, enough for even a standard regulator to dump pressure (which they are reluctant to do) after you'd finished carbonating, then that could be a cause. Or maybe alien, carbon-dioxide munching beasties of ill repute.

Kev
Kev888
Brewer

Postby beer buddah » Sat Feb 25, 2017 22:31

I think I found what the issue was. Cheers for the henrys law and alien conspiracy ideas.

I have the universal poppets and some times I find the spring in them has not enough force to open the spear inside the gas connect.
If I connect the gas at ).5 bar and raise to lets say 1 bar it stays open and carbs ok but if if I connect the gas at 1 bar nothing happens as the universal poppets are crap basically. I found when I connect gas at 1 bar and open the pressure release there is not flow unless I reduce the gas regulator enough for the poppet to open.
beer buddah
Brewer

Postby Kev888 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:55

Thats an unusual one. Well done for tracking it down!

Kev
Kev888
Brewer