Kegging for beginners...

Postby xCamel xSlayer » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:45

This may have cropped up a few times, and I'll admit I've come across a few threads which contain this type of discussion... but rather than hijack anything, I thought I'd make one specifically for what I'm after.

So, up until now, I have bottled each and every batch and yeah, it's great to have a selection to go through but I'm starting to get the itch to have a) one keg to begin with and then b) a decent mini setup where I can be running several at one go. Its so time consuming having to bottle every time, I'd love to have an alternate option.

What I'd like to know is where someone with absolutely no experience would start from.
I gather there are two common ones on the market; The Sanke and the Corny. Do we as home brewers prefer one over the other, and if so, why?

Then I suppose there are the various fittings, beer line, CO2, pressure levels and dispensers to consider I guess?

If you could break it down to the core for me, or point me in the direction of a great Youtube tutorial etc. that's worth my time watching and learning from, I would be most greatful!
xCamel xSlayer
Brewer

Re: Kegging for beginners...

Postby AltonAnt » Thu Dec 15, 2016 14:10

I prefer Cornies for the wide opening which makes cleaning easier.
Regarding fittings, it is pretty much irrelevant as you can just use JG fittings to convert between pretty much anything so whether it is a cornie quick release or Sankey fitting they both have gas in and beer out at the end of the day so the line, gas side and taps are common.
This makes running a mix of kegs an option.
AltonAnt
Brewer

Postby john luc » Thu Dec 15, 2016 14:37

Corney's all the way I'd say. There are 2 types of fitting to them,ball lock and pin lock,I and I think most people prefer the ball lock types. Along with the corney you will need 2 quick disconnects,gray one for the gas in and black one for the beer out. You will also need a bottle of gas and a suitable regulator for same. Co2 gas is the normal for carbonating up the beer and to serve it through a suitable beer dispense tap. You can also serve it with a mixed gas bottle of Co2 and nitrogen but for that you need a separate regulator and separate mixed gas bottle.
john luc
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Thu Dec 15, 2016 14:40

Co2 - regulator - john guest regulator adapter - gas line - splitter if using multiple kegs - john guest disconnect adapter - grey "in" disconnect - corny - black out disconnect - john guest disconnect adapter - beer line (same as gas line) - tap (party tap is minimum.)

That's my basic set up.

Nice simple guide here.

https://ukcbn.co.uk/cornie-kegs-101/
robwalker
Brewer

Postby secla » Thu Dec 15, 2016 19:21

i use sankes, ive never had an issue cleaning them and the fact they seal with no pressure is a big bonus for me.
secla
Brewer

Postby Maysie » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:27

Dont forget that temperature control of the kegs is very important to get the correct CO2 Volumes, so a kegerator (or some other form of temp control of the kegs) is important.

I learnt that lesson AFTER I had bought a 5 keg setup!

I use Cornies and find them great. I now typically brew short to 19 litres so that I can avoid the need for the odd random bottle or 5 when kegging.
Maysie
Brewer