Better bottle capper

Postby MrBoy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 00:58

After a few hundred bottles, my Wilko capper has rapidly deteriorated the last batch I bottled.

Are there better options or should I treat it as semi disposable? I've been thinking about a bench capper but seen mixed reviews. Either way something robust seems a good call, it would probably save a bit of time too.

via Tapatalk
MrBoy
Brewer

Re: Better bottle capper

Postby Rolfster » Sun Nov 27, 2016 01:15

I've had my bench capper for about 4 years and its still going strong.
And it was a present from a friend. He had just got a couple of cornies, so it was well used before I got it!

Having heard friends stories about capping issues, I wouldn't even consider getting something less robust!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Sun Nov 27, 2016 08:59

The big Ferrari floor stander bottle capper that Rob sells is unbeatable . . . And most certainly unbreakable!

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby aamcle » Sun Nov 27, 2016 09:04

Generally bench capers are a world better than hand capers and IMHO this is the best :- http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.ph ... ductId=560

it's big n bulky but no fail and does both sizes of bottle cap. I have one (Christmas a couple of years ago) and I like it but almost any bench caper is better than a hand caper.

ATB. aamcle
aamcle
Brewer

Postby Oldstunty » Sun Nov 27, 2016 16:53

aamcle wrote:Generally bench capers are a world better than hand capers and IMHO this is the best :- http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.ph ... ductId=560

it's big n bulky but no fail and does both sizes of bottle cap. I have one (Christmas a couple of years ago) and I like it but almost any bench caper is better than a hand caper.

+1 for this capper, it's a brute!
Not only does it do both sizes of cap, it also accommodates every bottle size i've thrown at it and adjusts magically!

:hat:
Jon.

I enjoy a glass of wine each night for its health benefits. The other glasses are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
Oldstunty
Brewer

Postby CJV8 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 19:01

I use this one from The Malt Miller: http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.ph ... ductId=560

Been great so far, no complaints at all.

Planning - An imperial barley wine
Brewing - Nowt
Conditioning - Plum port (and it'll be conditioning for another 9 years or so)
Drinking - many different beers, and plenty of whisky.
CJV8
Brewer

Postby xCamel xSlayer » Sun Nov 27, 2016 20:58

Ferrari Emily is the one I have. It's plastic but pretty heavy duty. Cheaper than a bench capper and I've been happy with it up til now for sure.
xCamel xSlayer
Brewer

Postby Springer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 09:39

xCamel xSlayer wrote:Ferrari Emily is the one I have. It's plastic but pretty heavy duty. Cheaper than a bench capper and I've been happy with it up til now for sure.

Looks similar to the one I had three of :scratch: :lol: before I made a bench capper
S

It's a dog life :D
Springer
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:32

Does anyone know of a smaller one? I've been debating making a small wall/bench mounted one.

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby rlemkin » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:49

krazypara3165 wrote:Does anyone know of a smaller one? I've been debating making a small wall/bench mounted one.

I've been using this one for the last few months and it's been working well: http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.ph ... uctId=558/
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby Springer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:52

krazypara3165 wrote:Does anyone know of a smaller one? I've been debating making a small wall/bench mounted one.

Presently resides g cramped to my dexion bottle rack :thumb:

Its appeared hear before :lol: photo dated 2011, never miss fired once and still not painted :oops:
Not hard to put together, not adjustable, "don't over think it", use one or two blocks of wood under stumpy bottles. :D
S

Springer
Brewer

Postby Bigbud78 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 17:35

Springer wrote:

Presently resides g cramped to my dexion bottle rack :thumb:

Its appeared hear before :lol: photo dated 2011, never miss fired once and still not painted :oops:
Not hard to put together, not adjustable, "don't over think it", use one or two blocks of wood under stumpy bottles. :D
S

How did you make the bell ? I'm looking to use my drill press but didnt know weather to try and make a capper bell or just buy one :D
Bigbud78
Brewer

Postby Springer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 19:05

Bell end was turned on the lathe, trial and error on a new cap, couldn't find the specification measurements for them at the time, but they are not expensive to buy, or you may be lucky and get one from a "belly up" nipper type capper, there are plenty of those about. :lol:
S

Springer
Brewer

Postby Bigbud78 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 22:59

Springer wrote:Bell end was turned on the lathe, trial and error on a new cap, couldn't find the specification measurements for them at the time, but they are not expensive to buy, or you may be lucky and get one from a "belly up" nipper type capper, there are plenty of those about. :lol:
S

LOL

I've got a wood turning lathe, dont think that'll do the job :D I was tempted to get some tube and weld it then file it back but for the effort I might just buy one xD
Bigbud78
Brewer

Postby Springer » Sat Dec 03, 2016 09:14

Was a little harder than I thought to get the shape right for some reason, maybe on a bad day, I would buy one.
S

Springer
Brewer

Postby WM7793 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 17:45

I have this one for a couple of years. It is great bottler, well made, but not cheap. Have not had any problems with it at all.

https://www.brouwland.com/en/our-produc ... EWY82cX7BQ

Best regards,
WM7793
WM7793
Brewer

Postby LeeH » Tue Dec 06, 2016 09:29

That looks the shizzle!

Pricey though...

Any UK suppliers?
LeeH
Brewer

Postby WM7793 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:49

Not that I am aware of. I did not pay as much as that at the time mind. I think the current pound/euro exchange makes it look a bit pricey at present. But it is a cracking bottler though.

Best regards,
WM7793
WM7793
Brewer