Refractometer?

Postby MrBoy » Tue Nov 22, 2016 21:54

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fuloon-Beer-Wo ... B016OG1M14

£20 sounds quite interesting but I don't know much about these. Are they more accurate than a hydrometer?
MrBoy
Brewer

Re: Refractometer?

Postby Jeltz » Wed Nov 23, 2016 00:45

Generally marginally less accurate but easier to read which reduces user introduced inaccuracy. Also they are much more convenient (IMO) and less easy to break. I only use for starting gravity, but I understand that you can calculate the finishing gravity from the reading and starting gravity.

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Postby ockelford » Wed Nov 23, 2016 09:59

That's identical to mine, I use the same ond, and checked against my hydrometer, its spot on.

R
ockelford
Brewer

Postby supersteve » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:19

Think I paid about £14 for mine
supersteve
Brewer

Postby vacant » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:38

I got mine from China for £11 delivered (e.g. here). The bits and bobs I get from China usually take two weeks to arrive. Mine has just a Brix scale, my brew sheet instructions/recipe list I print out includes a Brix to SG table.

My future plans include not much
vacant
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Wed Nov 23, 2016 16:43

Mine seems to give figures which more closely match known sugars than my hydrometer does.
Not that I use either much

There are UK suppliers of the Chinese ones which work out about the same price after p&p is taken into account, and would be easier to deal with in case of problems. They're on ebay, somewhere
oldbloke

Postby MrBoy » Wed Nov 23, 2016 17:50

Cool... For some reason I assumed they were really expensive but that's barely more than a hydrometer.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby rpt » Wed Nov 23, 2016 19:05

AFAIK refractometers are only useful if you 3V AG and probably only if you fly sparge.

rpt
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Wed Nov 23, 2016 19:55

rpt wrote:AFAIK refractometers are only useful if you 3V AG and probably only if you fly sparge.

I would disagree with that comment, as I now use a Braumeister No Sparge ;)

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby beermaker » Wed Nov 23, 2016 22:21

Devastated, I paid £45 for mine back in the day!! Mind, that was 13 years ago!

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk
beermaker
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Wed Nov 23, 2016 22:35

beermaker wrote:Devastated, I paid £45 for mine back in the day!! Mind, that was 13 years ago!

Yeh, I bought a case of poker chips just before the prices crashed...
oldbloke

Postby beermaker » Wed Nov 23, 2016 23:25

I'll just offset it against the fridge I've just acquired free gratis for keeping yeast slants in!

beermaker
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Wed Nov 23, 2016 23:31

rpt wrote:AFAIK refractometers are only useful if you 3V AG and probably only if you fly sparge.

I don't know what any of that means. What are those terms and why do they matter in this context?

via Tapatalk
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby rpt » Thu Nov 24, 2016 08:44

I'd say if you don't understand what I said then you don't need a refractometer!
Do you only brew kits? If so then I don't see why you'd need a refractometer. I do BIAB and don't see the need for one.

rpt
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:41

Surely the need for one is to measure SG without mucking about with a hydrometer? What else is the point?
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby supersteve » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:52

rpt wrote:I'd say if you don't understand what I said then you don't need a refractometer!
Do you only brew kits? If so then I don't see why you'd need a refractometer. I do BIAB and don't see the need for one.

Really don't know what you're talking about.. Refractometers are for measuring the gravity at any stage including kits just before fermentation and post fermentation.

They are great little cheap gadgets that take a lot less of a sample than a hydrometer. I think everybody should get one regardless of how you brew.
supersteve
Brewer

Postby Jeltz » Thu Nov 24, 2016 14:39

they are great for starting, what I don't understand is the wort correction factor when trying to use one for calculating final gravity.

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Postby Aleman » Thu Nov 24, 2016 14:52

The Wort Correction Factor applies to ALL readings, it compensates for the fact that our refractometers are actually designed to measure a fructose solution, while wort contains fructose, it also contains a whole load of other sugars which have a different RI to fructose. Therefore to take account of this a small correction factor is applied . . . it usually defaults to around 1.04, although for different worts and at different gravities it does vary, my average is currently running at 1.06 and a bit

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 14:58

You'd think they'd just build that in against an additional button or something ;)
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby rpt » Thu Nov 24, 2016 15:52

How would it know the composition of your wort?

rpt
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Thu Nov 24, 2016 16:29

To determine the WCF for a wort you need an accurate hydrometer and the refractometer, Measure the 'gravity' with both, and use the standard conversion formula without the WCF to convert the Brix reading to a SG reading. Then divide the Hydrometers SG by the Refractometers SG and the resultant figure is the WCF.

It does vary from wort to wort, but not by a massive amount, unless you have an unusual mash which produced more or less fermentables than expected.

I've kept a note of the WCF for most of my beers brewed over the last 10 years or so so I can choose a WCF based on style and gravity for the beer I am going to make . . . unfortunately sharing it would be of little point as it will also vary by brewer . . . and even kit, but even I can't be bothered going that far :lol:

Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Thu Nov 24, 2016 17:51

If Aleman can't be bothered it ain't worth doing!
oldbloke

Postby Rolfster » Fri Dec 09, 2016 19:09

MrBoy wrote:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fuloon-Beer-Wort-Refractometer-Scale/dp/B016OG1M14

£20 sounds quite interesting but I don't know much about these. Are they more accurate than a hydrometer?

I just bought one of these.... it's a Christmas present from my wife don't you know!
Rolfster
Brewer