Changing Bergland Tap (Now one piece!)

Postby Prismed » Tue Aug 30, 2016 19:51

So I'm the proud owner of a lovely new 25 litre (I only make smaller batches) thermopot, which I intended to replace the tap to a ball valve using the below guide:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6423

However, I came accross an issue... the new bergland tap is now a one piece design! Being a complete novice I now have all the parts the guide listed me to buy, but no way of fitting it!

IMG_3204.JPG
IMG_3204.JPG (85.52 KiB) Viewed 638 times

I have searched around for a guide, but can't seem to find anything relating to the new tap design. I've been stood in B&Q looking at all the fittings for around 40 minutes, while googling, but it's all so confusing. Why do they mix imperial and metric?! I figure the inner hole needs a 3/8 thread (but this doesn't convert to metric?), so I need a 3/8 to 15mm conversion somehow. But with a spacer to fill the gap between inner and outer skin?

IMG_3206.JPG
IMG_3206.JPG (81.72 KiB) Viewed 638 times

Can anyone help? Also preferably with links with what to buy from screwfix or wherever, being as I'm completely useless! :lol:
Prismed
Brewer

Re: Changing Bergland Tap (Now one piece!)

Postby serum » Tue Aug 30, 2016 21:34

I can't give links but when I made my boiler I used a few more parts. There might be an easier way but this is what I did:

You need a running nipple which is like a big long threaded tube and that'll go all the way through the hole and stick out a bit at either end.

I use dowty seals (washers with a rubber bit) on either side of the wall of the pot, then two nuts to hold the nipple in place

I've got a ball valve tap with a female thread on each end instead of a male one. One end screws onto the nipple and the other has a hose barb on it with a male thread. You could probably just get an adapter of some sort but it might mean the tap will stick out a bit more than it needs to.

FV - Altbier
Bottled: Blond & Amber Biere De Garde, Blond & Amber French Ale, Belgian Pale
Planned: More Altbier, Kolsch, XX Bitter Clone
serum
Brewer

Postby PhatFil » Wed Aug 31, 2016 06:06

bes.co.uk is where i got most of my Stainless steel pipe fittings, the website is just a glorified catalog, so the illustrations are not too comprehensive, a 'running nipple' is a Parralel nipple in their books.. https://www.bes.co.uk/products/165a.asp about 3/4 the way down this page.
The wikipedia bsp thread page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_S ... read_sizes
has a useful table enabling you to size the minimum and maximum thread diameters in mm ;) which indicates a 3/8" bsp fitting will have a 16.6mm major OD, so ebay some M16 or M17 SS washers which you can use with some 15mm ID x 2mm silicone orings, diy silicone washers cut from silicone baking sheet or even simply ptfe tape to create a tight seal.

Be mindful the insulating foam has limited ability to endure compression and if over squeezed will collapse so focus on making a tight seal with soft washers rather than brute force compression.

However why not go for a bottom drain while your at it, the reduction of deadspace should make the effort worthwhile, and you could use the current tap breach for a temperature probe or thermometer:)
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby ockelford » Wed Aug 31, 2016 08:46

PhatFil wrote:However why not go for a bottom drain while your at it, the reduction of deadspace should make the effort worthwhile, and you could use the current tap breach for a temperature probe or thermometer:)

Yep. If you want an affordable option, there are some very cheap ss thermowells from China, if you can wait ages. They're 1/2" NPT, which is very similar to BSP, but tapers. I bought a 1/2" BSP SS nut, and it fitted the NPT perfectly well on my thermowell, with a little PTFE tape.

Also, if you want none of that, you could plug it temporarilly with a radiator stop plug and nut, or maybe refit the tap until your thermowell arrives.

R
ockelford
Brewer

Postby angelhomebrew » Mon Sep 05, 2016 16:39

Hi

Will check and get back to you if I have any of the old style spacers.

But just had a thought, the pre-drilled holes could be different size too !

It used to be a very simple job to convert to ball valve re-using the spacer fitting and the existing holes :/

Cheers
Paul

angelhomebrew
Vendor

Postby Prismed » Tue Sep 06, 2016 08:52

Hi Paul,

Also emailled Bergland, waiting for their reply.

If they can't supply, I will try to follow your reply Serum, but how to connect the 3/8 nipple to a 15mm tap (and also attach to the pot covering the existing hole)?

Cheers
Mark
Prismed
Brewer

Postby rickzgz » Sat Mar 25, 2017 23:59

Hello all,

Just found this thread describing my very same problem. Shame on Bergland's new tap's design!

@Prismed: How did you eventually handled? Very curious about it...
rickzgz
Brewer