Which fridges/fridge-freezers particularly good for brewing?

Postby MrBoy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:23

I got a fridge a year or two back and poked cables through the drain for heater and temperature probe. I can JUST get two FVs in it but only after taking out the shelves and building a wooden structure. Works well though.

BUT, I go through cycles of using it to ferment beer, then chill it, then store the bottles once I have a batch. Which means I can't do another batch out of sync - in summer I can find places to ferment around the house but ideally I'd have two units for more flexibility.

When I bought this one, I had to check carefully as many have a big bulge for the fridge workings, or are otherwise ill-suited to maximise the space.
So are there any models out there people would recommend? I got about the cheapest decent size tall fridge I could find, I know others get 2nd-hand ones.
I even wondered about a fridge-freezer as this has two separate compartments, but not sure the wiring would be tricky to sort out. Can a single fridge/freezer hold an FV because I could stack two I guess. A freezer would presumably be better insulated if I want to get down to 0 which is lower than fridges normally run (though mine will).
MrBoy
Brewer

Re: Which fridges/fridge-freezers particularly good for brew

Postby MarkF » Fri Jul 06, 2018 18:30

Personally I have gone for undercounter fridges from Gumtree, that way I can fit a single Fv in and have independent control for either fermenting, conditioning or in my case with kegs dispensing. No problem stacking fridges in the garage :D
MarkF
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 18:41

MarkF wrote:Personally I have gone for undercounter fridges from Gumtree, that way I can fit a single Fv in and have independent control for either fermenting, conditioning or in my case with kegs dispensing. No problem stacking fridges in the garage :D
Do most under counter fridges fit a typical FV or do I need to be careful?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby MarkF » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:52

MrBoy wrote:
MarkF wrote:Personally I have gone for undercounter fridges from Gumtree, that way I can fit a single Fv in and have independent control for either fermenting, conditioning or in my case with kegs dispensing. No problem stacking fridges in the garage :D
Do most under counter fridges fit a typical FV or do I need to be careful?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Need to be careful, min 50cm wide and preferably with light at top, also you may need to cut the shelf doors out to shut it if they are not removeable, but 30litre buckets should fit in most with no alteration.
MarkF
Brewer

Postby LeeH » Mon Jul 16, 2018 01:06

Look for ones with completely removable door shelves or you’ll end up sawing them off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
LeeH
Brewer