What with all of the excitement over one-pot RIMS systems at the moment, I thought I'd have a go at making something relatively close to the Braumeister or Grainfather probably based on an urn. SO I had a bit of a read and found Matho's thread at Aussie Home Brewers http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread. ... 92...looks
simple I thought. Bear in mind this post is a bit compressed; this has been going on for a couple of months now.....
A bit of a snoop around ebay and the like got me a 60's baby Burco wash boiler;
This this was £5 and it works perfectly as a BIAB boiler (I had to test it!) . Total element power is 2.5kW and it holds 7 1/2 gals. NO cutouts or safety switches; on means on with this thing!
Fortuitously, my 19l stockpot fits inside and will become the grain pipe, I also bent the handles to just fit into the boile.
I don't know what this thing is but it was £1.50 in a local discount shop and the lip fits the stockpot perfectly. I attached a small frying splatter guard to the bottom with tiny machine screws (M1.6) and a washer in the middle acts as a clamp plate. This was a pain in the arse..I recommend getting one custom made from Inoxia or a similar company.....
A stainless rod off the scrap pile threaded at both ends acts to retain the top plate;
and a marine skin fitting connected to a camlock male provides the connection to the plumbing under the boiler. The small foot keeps the stock pot upright;
I removed the elements and lower shroud from the Burco...(Burcomeister?) and drilled it for another skin fitting and the female half of the camlock; cams removed. A little pump off ebay and a tap flex connector from the junk bin completes the plumbing.
OK, time for electronics. I shamelessly copied Matho's controller which is now an open source project in it's own right see https://www.facebook.com/OpenArdBir
I added an extra relay instead of the buzzer because I want to use a doorbell....in keeping with the 60's vibe of the Burco!
Electronics now on verboard;
And a thermowell for the DS18B20 temperature sensor. Its two stainless bolts bored in the lathe then soldered together. Component parts;
Soldered, finish machined and polished ready to glue the sensor in;
That's all for now...