Modus Hoperandi DIPA clone

Brewed a great beer, share it. Want someone to critique one of your recipes? Want advice on a recipe for a particular style? Ask here

Modus Hoperandi DIPA clone

Postby blinky » Wed Jan 06, 2016 21:47

I'm not looking to make an exact clone of this (Modus Hoperandi)but an approximation, more a clone to the same style than anything else as I have centennial, cascade and magnum. I'm aiming for around the same OG, ABV and IBU as Modus as well but have never made a DIPA....... Am I using enough hops? Im still getting my efficiency nailed down, last time it was 75% but I went with 70% in the recipe calcs - figured it as better coming out stronger than weaker?
Anyway can you good folks have a look and make any recommendations? :thumb:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... s-hoperand

Last edited by blinky on Wed Jan 06, 2016 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
blinky
Brewer

Re: Modus Hoperandi DIPA clone

Postby blinky » Wed Jan 06, 2016 21:55

Oh, should have said I was also going to Burtonise my water..... Living in scotland it is very soft so thought a spoon of Burton Water crystals would bring out more of the hop flavour?
blinky
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 22:15

That to me looks like a pretty standard hopping schedule for a hop forward Pale Ale. That is the sort of schedule that is used in st Austels Proper Job Pale ale. However one thing I always do is a 90 minute boil and the bittering hops in at 90 minute especially for a pale ale to guarantee a nice clear beer.

graysalchemy

Postby blinky » Wed Jan 06, 2016 22:17

I'm just worried that I loose too much liquid in a 90min boil - I am from Scotland!
blinky
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 22:30

Put a lid on it. Never bothered me you can also top up as you go along or liquor back at the end as if you have lost too much then the OG will be higher and need reducing any how, or are you bothered by the cost of adding a few more litres of water :whistle: :whistle: .

what you lose in water you will gain financially in reduced amount of hops at the start of the boil :whistle:

graysalchemy

Postby blinky » Wed Jan 06, 2016 22:49

Fair point! 90mins it is then!
blinky
Brewer

Postby blinky » Thu Jan 07, 2016 14:38

After speaking with the guy who is going to be brewing this with me I have changed the hop schedule back to what it should be for Modus Hoperandi - adding in Columbus (His thinking was the cascade/centennial would be too flowery). I also changed to English ale yeast, not sure whether this makes much difference to the flavour and I have 3 packets of US05 but it seems to finish higher so I assume will leave the beer a little sweeter...
blinky
Brewer