[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Brewing Forum • View topic - Premuim strengh shandy?

Premuim strengh shandy?

Brewed a great beer, share it. Want someone to critique one of your recipes? Want advice on a recipe for a particular style? Ask here

Premuim strengh shandy?

Postby Gambler » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:24

I've got a few cheap "Young's harvest pilsner" kits from when they were on Tesco direct for next to nothing sat here. I am considering doing a 5% shandy brew.

Anyone got any ideas? My FV is fairly large, which I think is going to be usfull.

As this is more of a bit of fun than anything else, id rather keep it simple, ideally just the beer kit, sugar and shop bought lemon juice if possible, though am happy to stick a few extra bits in if needs be. The sugar I can work out easily enough, but I have no idea how much lemon juice to add... Too much and its going to be undrinkable.

Thanks
Gambler
Brewer

Re: Premuim strengh shandy?

Postby martindisorder » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:46

Could you not use 2 cans and 1kg of sugar to make a 7-8% brew then just add the lemonade to taste when you pour.
martindisorder
Brewer

Postby Gambler » Thu Aug 27, 2015 13:01

Gambler
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Thu Aug 27, 2015 13:22

+1 make an 8% beer, nothing like a tonne of barley wine ;)
robwalker
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 13:49

I dont think you will be able to achieve the sweetness with out using artificial sweeteners :ill: :ill: and your stock beer would probably end up too bitter for a shandy.

I agree make a strong ale beer and dilute with lemonade.

Whats with the strong shandy:scratch: :scratch: its like alco pops in my mind something that kids drink before they learn to appreciate grown up drinks :whistle: :whistle:

graysalchemy

Postby Gambler » Thu Aug 27, 2015 13:53

Dunno, I was going to do a hard lemonade as a change, and I've got these lying around so I thought I'd give it a bash and see how it comes out
Gambler
Brewer

Postby LeithR » Thu Aug 27, 2015 14:52

I'm with Rob and GA, make a strong beer and when diluted with lemonade its still going to be around 4.5% - 5% which is a hell of a lot stronger than Shandy normally is.

Puppy Slacko 5.9.3 Linux user see for details.

Searching for other planets? Why, this is the only one with beer!
LeithR
Brewer

Postby Gambler » Thu Aug 27, 2015 15:09

Yeah, GA's comment about the sweetness has put me off the idea tbh, I hadn't considered that.

Maybe I'll twocan it and go with that, or maybe just forgot the whole idea altogether,
Gambler
Brewer

Postby Gambler » Thu Aug 27, 2015 17:03

Just put a coopers stout kit on instead :thumb:

I've got far too much stuff lying around... I'm going to make an effort to use what I got before buying new stuff I think. Still got to decide what to do with those 4x cheap pilsner kits though
Gambler
Brewer

Postby LeithR » Thu Aug 27, 2015 20:37

Why don't you plan to make up a nice batch of 2can lager which you can pimp with Saaz and/or Hersbucker hops. If you leave it a couple of months you can use the cooler weather to get your fermentation temps nice and low for a pilsner. I've done this a couple of times over the winter and it works really well, especially if you use a good continental yeast as well.

Puppy Slacko 5.9.3 Linux user see for details.

Searching for other planets? Why, this is the only one with beer!
LeithR
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Thu Aug 27, 2015 20:41

bear in mind you've basically got a plain wort there in your pilsner kits. you can add pretty much anything to it - hops, yeast, grains, and make most styles of beer, british ales, porter, APA, whatever you want!
robwalker
Brewer