How much Fresh Ginger in a 23 litre Ginger Beer

Brewed a great beer, share it. Want someone to critique one of your recipes? Want advice on a recipe for a particular style? Ask here

How much Fresh Ginger in a 23 litre Ginger Beer

Postby R3d Spartan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 18:58

Last year i was proposing making a ginger beer recipe with grated ginger. So basically i have gone back to it and im still wondering how much ginger for a mildish ginger flavour for 23 litre all grain brew with soft citrus notes, so is 55 gms of fresh chopped ginger enough or too much or should i go for 80gms. I do not want a fiery flavour only a mildish ginger flavour.

Also which yeast is best? would a champagne yeast work on it ok Also do i put the Ginger in the main boil or add to FV 2 after boiling for five minutes in 300ml of water let it cool and add when dry hopping

Conditioning: Sarah Hughes Ruby Mild 6.9% version
Conditioning: Home brew club challenge beer 3.8%
Drinking: Equinox and Mosaic pale 4.5%
R3d Spartan
Brewer

Re: How much Fresh Ginger in a 23 litre Ginger Beer

Postby R3d Spartan » Wed May 04, 2016 18:54

I didnt think i was asking much but i thought somebody could have answered my query enough looked at it

R3d Spartan
Brewer

Postby pittsy » Wed May 04, 2016 19:27

I've only brewed an all ginger beer with spice etc and sugar , that had either 1.5 kg or 3 kg ( sure it was 1.5kg ) of ginger which was very ginger beer but just not that great ( made it twice ) .
Now you say an all grain recipe with ginger , I would think you'd have to do split brews . Can you split it into 3 or 4 ? try adding different amounts ( boiled earlier ) to each d j . I would think anywhere from 100g to 1 kg depending on how strong you want it for a 23 litre batch .
I think you would require a clean simple recipe , no roast malts ( imo ) ibu below 30 ( imo ) and a clean yeast .
pittsy
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Wed May 04, 2016 20:15

I think it is a very subjective question, everyone's going to have a different answer. If I were to make a lager orpale ale with ginger I would want a very light ginger taste. However I made the alcoholic ginger beer recipe from this site and thought it wasn't gingery enough.

Perhaps try getting a beer and boiling it for 15 minutes with a small amount of ginger. That will give you an indication of strength of flavour. As Pittsy said you'd probably going to have to do it a few times to get the right balance.

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby stevelmu » Wed May 04, 2016 20:21

I did a ginger IPA with 300g of fresh ginger. It was very citrussy so the ginger had to punch through.

It was a good beer.

Edit: Added last 15 of boil.
stevelmu
Brewer

Postby Borischarlton » Wed May 04, 2016 21:37

I make a Belgian Witt that I put ginger into. A fist sized lump, grated and added to the boil in the last five minutes and then left to steep for 30 minutes works well for me. The WLP400 works a treat for this as well, if you would prefer dry yeast Mangrove Jacks have just released one. The resulting beer will remain cloudy so use a different yeast if you want something clear.

Borischarlton
Vendor

Postby R3d Spartan » Thu May 05, 2016 12:50

can you add ginger after fermentation in dry hopping stage if you boil it first

R3d Spartan
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Thu May 05, 2016 13:04

R3d Spartan wrote:can you add ginger after fermentation in dry hopping stage if you boil it first

Yes. I would add the water as well.
Or soak it in vodka for a bit then add it.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby jkp » Thu May 05, 2016 16:29

The G Hughes book has a recipe for a ginger flavoured beer. It uses 150g at 5min in the boil for a 23L batch. So that should give you a rough idea of how much to use.

jkp
Brewer