Guinness

Brewed a great beer, share it. Want someone to critique one of your recipes? Want advice on a recipe for a particular style? Ask here

Guinness

Postby haggis51 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:06

Does anyone have a really good recipe for draught Guinness, that oldies like me remember? I'm talking about the Guinness that I used to drink back in the late 60's to 80's. The one that was packed with flavour and body, not this cold, tasteless, overpriced crap that is served nowadays.
haggis51
Brewer

Re: Guinness

Postby john luc » Sun Feb 03, 2019 16:03

The Guinness today is about 4.2% ABV so if your looking for higher than go for a good Export Stout recipe. I would not use crystal but maybe black Patent malt instead. A typical bog standard recipe to start with is the 70,20,10 one. 70% Pale Malt, 20% flaked Barley, 10% Roast Barley. IBU 23. I suspect the IBU today are now in the teens though :hmm:
john luc
Brewer

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Mon Feb 04, 2019 09:01

haggis51 wrote:Does anyone have a really good recipe for draught Guinness, that oldies like me remember? I'm talking about the Guinness that I used to drink back in the late 60's to 80's. The one that was packed with flavour and body, not this cold, tasteless, overpriced crap that is served nowadays.

Graham Wheeler has three recipes in different gravities. Take your pick.
Guinness Extra Stout 1042
Guinness Export Stout 1048
Guinness Foreign Extra Stout 1073

All excellent beers. And if you think present day Guinness Stout is crap try their recently launched IPA it is tasteles nitrogen fizz.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin
INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby john luc » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:53

I got into trouble with this comment that I posted (with some Diageo people I know ;) ).

Diageo I'm not a frog,
I was in a pub last night and as often the case with a limited choice to choose from I decided to have a pint of Guinness. The beer was served fine,there was no off flavours but as I drank a few it was apparent that the bean counters are continuing to drive this beer to a dumb downed shadow of what it once was, a great beer.
they apply the cook a frog approach by making continuing slight changes hoping that beer drinkers will not notice.

Well I notice.

This beer today is a thin bodied low gravity ale with low IBU'S probably in the teens. No amount of pixie dust sprinkled by their marketing people can hide the fact that they have gone past their Guinness light beer and have now got it to be Guinness Extra light.
john luc
Brewer

Postby Jeltz » Mon Feb 04, 2019 20:09

IIRC the strength of a lot of beers dropped considerably in the 90's as a result of changes to duty, Guinness has never been the same since! :(

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Postby HTH1975 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 09:47

There are plenty of stout recipes on Ron Pattinson’s blog. I’d be surprised if Guinness is much different to any of those.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed (need to update this figure)
Drinking: Landlord clone
Conditioning: ciders from 2016, hedgerow barrolo, 1914 Courage RIS (10%).
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby BarnsleyBrewer » Tue Feb 05, 2019 21:14

I noticed years ago it was going downhill when you could see a slight bit of light if holding it up against a lightbulb.... Years ago it was jet black.
Sad really how they're ruining iconic beers that have been brewed for hundreds of years!!

"Brewing Fine Ales in Barnsley Since 1984"
- - - - - - - 35 years (1984 - 2019)- - - - - - -
Pints Brewed in 2019......... 000
Pints brewed in 2018.. 416
Pints brewed in 2017.. 416
Pints brewed in 2016.. 208
Pints brewed in 2015.. 624
Pints brewed in 2014.. 832
BarnsleyBrewer
Brewer

Postby BigYin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 22:57

INDIAPALEALE wrote:
haggis51 wrote:Does anyone have a really good recipe for draught Guinness, that oldies like me remember? I'm talking about the Guinness that I used to drink back in the late 60's to 80's. The one that was packed with flavour and body, not this cold, tasteless, overpriced crap that is served nowadays.

Graham Wheeler has three recipes in different gravities. Take your pick.
Guinness Extra Stout 1042

+1 for Graham W's Guinness Extra Stout recipe - works a treat :D - although if you want to replicate the mouth-feel of guinness, you'll need to 'carb' it with nitrogen.... I don't bother - just careful not to over-carb it as if it's got excessive CO2 not only is the mouth feel wrong, but the slight acidity created is also wrong for the style of beer..
BigYin
Brewer

Postby Brewzee » Tue Feb 12, 2019 07:16

I also drink Guinness when I'm out in cask land as it's often the best option and cold. I have been trying to make a stout that takes this to the next level but I've not got where I wanted yet. I like an aged roasted barley taste if that makes sense, not some brash roasted malt flavour that needs to be tempered with vanilla or worse. Unlike those up in Barnsley I've been backing off the roasted barley until, I do see some red light through the glass. Again because I want a more subtle mature dry roast. I'm thinking of cold steeping the roasted barley or maybe it just needs longer in the bottle. Do other people get what I mean.
Brewzee
Brewer

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Tue Feb 12, 2019 09:09

Brewzee wrote:I also drink Guinness when I'm out in cask land as it's often the best option and cold. I have been trying to make a stout that takes this to the next level but I've not got where I wanted yet. I like an aged roasted barley taste if that makes sense, not some brash roasted malt flavour that needs to be tempered with vanilla or worse. Unlike those up in Barnsley I've been backing off the roasted barley until, I do see some red light through the glass. Again because I want a more subtle mature dry roast. I'm thinking of cold steeping the roasted barley or maybe it just needs longer in the bottle. Do other people get what I mean.

I feel for you if draught Guinness is often the best option available. It is completely devoid of taste and drinkers are just hoodwinked by the colour. In the past I have conducted blind beer tastings and no one could ever pick out Guinness from among several other nitrogen flushed beers. Try it on your mates you will be surprised. Incidentally lots of lager drinkers could not spot the difference between that and Perrier water. Just goes to show what eyes contribute to our perceived taste.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin
INDIAPALEALE
Brewer