Flavour from cold steeped black malt?

Postby Jeltz » Wed Oct 28, 2015 17:40

I have about a kilo of black malt which I was given some time back but due to its harsh slightly acrid flavour I rarely use it, however I am considering doing a porter and I was thinking about using 300g cold steeped in about a litre of water to avoid bringing the harshness through.

But then it occurred to me if you don't get the harsh, burnt acrid flavours from cold steeped black malt what are you left with??

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Re: Flavour from cold steeped black malt?

Postby Bad 'Ed » Wed Oct 28, 2015 17:44

It's not the hot water which is getting the burnt taste but the malting process, so I would have imagined that lots of black malt cold steeped is almost the same as a much smaller amount just put in the mash.

What would you be dissolving in hot water that you would avoid dissolving in cold water?

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 18:06

Try a wee bit of it overnight in a glass and decide in the morning.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby Jeltz » Wed Oct 28, 2015 19:14

Bad 'Ed wrote:It's not the hot water which is getting the burnt taste but the malting process, so I would have imagined that lots of black malt cold steeped is almost the same as a much smaller amount just put in the mash.

What would you be dissolving in hot water that you would avoid dissolving in cold water?

Having never tried cold steeping the honest answer is that I don't know, but I have read several times that the harshness of dark grains is reduced with this method.
rlemkin wrote:Try a wee bit of it overnight in a glass and decide in the morning.

That thought had occurred to me, I might as well give it a try.

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Postby Aleman » Wed Oct 28, 2015 20:09

You actually extract very little flavour, but you do get the colour

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby Jeltz » Wed Oct 28, 2015 20:13

OK so I'll just drop the volume mash it and let it have 2 months in the keg to become less harsh.

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Postby Goulders » Wed Oct 28, 2015 20:23

Black malt isn't harsh in the right quantity. My robust US porter uses 2% in the mash, 5% crystal and 5% choc, rest Pale
Goulders
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 22:11

Goulders wrote:Black malt isn't harsh in the right quantity. My robust US porter uses 2% in the mash, 5% crystal and 5% choc, rest Pale

I've read that you need to be careful with your water chemistry if you're going to use a lot, but it's definitely possible to go quite highand int he right circumstances make a great beer.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 22:24

Cold steep it and make my favourite style

Cascadian Dark Yankie Doodle Lemochello Imperial Pale Dark India Stout :D :D

graysalchemy

Postby Eric » Thu Oct 29, 2015 01:11

rlemkin wrote:
Goulders wrote:Black malt isn't harsh in the right quantity. My robust US porter uses 2% in the mash, 5% crystal and 5% choc, rest Pale

I've read that you need to be careful with your water chemistry if you're going to use a lot, but it's definitely possible to go quite highand int he right circumstances make a great beer.

Yes, absolutely so, it is all about liquor. I've never cold steeped, a waste of time and a most wonderful ingredient that is produce by a year's work using highly skilled people, to be then dumped in cold water just because the present high profile water gurus tell you not to do what should be done.
Eric
Brewer

Postby Jeltz » Thu Oct 29, 2015 01:50

I'll be using a HCl to reduce the alkalinity (generally in the region of 180ppm) and using a little gypsum to redress the balance and boost up the calcium which is generally around 70ppm. Sounds like cold steeping is a faff that won't achieve anything I want so I'll just use the black malt and see how it goes the level will be around 4.5%

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Postby jkp » Thu Oct 29, 2015 02:00

I've cold steeped dark grains and was very happy with the result. Lots of coffee dark chocolate flavours but so smooth and without any grainy harshness. Think about what cold brewed coffee is like. I would definitely do it again.

jkp
Brewer

Postby rpt » Thu Oct 29, 2015 21:55

graysalchemy wrote:Cold steep it and make my favourite style

Cascadian Dark Yankie Doodle Lemochello Imperial Pale Dark India Stout :D :D

Does that have a very active fermentation?

rpt
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Thu Oct 29, 2015 22:02

Probably, most of my beers tend to. :D

graysalchemy