Quantities of Vienna and Munich

The main ingredient

Postby Bad 'Ed » Mon Aug 03, 2015 20:36

I'm planning a use up brew which will be a lightly hopped pale ale (25IBU). The grain bill for 23l will be:
- 600g Vienna
- 400g Wheat
- 400g Munich
- 500g flaked oats (as an experiment I'm doing for head retention)
~ 2kg of MO to make it up to 4%.

I assume this will all taste fine as I know you can use large quantities of Munich and Vienna in a brew but I've just not done it before. Also last time I freestyled it tasted very amateur.

Any thoughts?

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Re: Quantities of Vienna and Munich

Postby Pjam » Mon Aug 03, 2015 20:49

My book says Munich 20% max and Vienna 50% !
Pjam
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Tue Aug 04, 2015 08:34

graysalchemy wrote:You need to do a glucan rest with bog standard porridge oats and use about 5%.

GA, I've seen you suggest oats in pale ales for head retention a few times in the past, always suggesting 5%. Is that the max you would put in? Does putting lots of oats in risk hazy beer?

Is there any reason to do the glucan rest separate to the main mash, given my mash tun is gas fired? The only thing I can think of is that it would make the final beer drier, but that would be good with what I am going for.

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby KevinS » Tue Aug 04, 2015 09:27

I think it sounds quite interesting. The munich and vienna should add some depth and maltiness - and combined with the wheat and oats I think it might feel like a 5% beer in terms of flavour and mouthfeel.

In Radical Brewing, Randy Mosher has an 'India Red Ale' that is 50% pale; 39% Munich, 6% medium crystal, 4% dark crystal and 1% black patent. So I don't think the amount of munich/vienna is obscene.

The only question for me would be how malty do you want it vs being balanced between hop and malt. If you wanted balance, I would be tempted to have a healthy dose of flavour/aroma hops to go with the malt/biscuit presence you will get from the munich and vienna.

Sounds like a beer right up my street, I love munich or vienna in a pale ale!
KevinS
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Tue Aug 04, 2015 09:44

Flaked oats will add mouthfeel rather than head retention Ed. It's quite pronounced and oatmeal pales are becoming popular again so give it a whirl!
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Mr. Dripping » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:36

Pjam wrote:My book says Munich 20% max and Vienna 50% !

I brewed a beer that took 1st at the last NCB Open (that might not mean much as I don't know how many people entered and I've not seen any feedback on the beer other than it somehow won)........grist was 70% Munich, 20% pale, 5% carapils and 5% caramalt.

100% munich or vienna will self convert, but I would always include a proportion of pale malt to ensure this and add to the malt complexity of the beer.

In case anyone is remotely interested, the beer I brewed was 2.5% abv with an OG of 1031. I went with a large amount of munich so the beer retained a good malt character as low abv beers can be somewhat lacking in this respect.
Mr. Dripping
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:46

If ever in doubt, refer to the manufacturer -

https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/craftbrewin ... arian-line

Vienna is listed as a base malt, and Munich as up to 100% for both types.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby serum » Fri Oct 23, 2015 15:20

You can use loads of munich without a problem. One of my favourite French beers is 80% Munich and it's bloody lovely.

That grain bill is a bit mixed up though. Not sure what you'd end up with.

FV - Blond Biere de Garde
Bottled: Altbier, XX Bitter
Planned: Amber Saison, Spelt Saison
serum
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 15:32

Bad 'Ed wrote:
graysalchemy wrote:You need to do a glucan rest with bog standard porridge oats and use about 5%.

GA, I've seen you suggest oats in pale ales for head retention a few times in the past, always suggesting 5%. Is that the max you would put in? Does putting lots of oats in risk hazy beer?

Is there any reason to do the glucan rest separate to the main mash, given my mash tun is gas fired? The only thing I can think of is that it would make the final beer drier, but that would be good with what I am going for.

Sorry have only seen this. Personally I wouldn't add more than 5%, I don't think you would need it as it does add a taste to the beer, like oat does to biscuits or bread. With regards to doing the mash you could always do a glucan rest in your tun but with only the ingredients you need for the mash and not the others then add the rest, but to be honest doing it in a pan on the stove isn't a big deal the quantities are not great.

graysalchemy

Postby GrahamT » Fri Oct 23, 2015 16:04

Stone Arrogant Bastard is believed to be 100% Munich I think!

Busy in the Summer House Brewery
GrahamT
Brewer

Postby LeeH » Fri Oct 23, 2015 20:43

GrahamT wrote:Stone Arrogant Bastard is believed to be 100% Munich I think!

That's a fine fine beer. I had it on draft at Brewdog.

To monitor my latest fermentation click here Black IPA
To view my new AG build click here
Keg 1: Berliner Weisse
Keg 2: APA
Keg 3: Stout (Nitro)
Keg 4: Empty
LeeH
Brewer