flaked oats

The main ingredient

flaked oats

Postby mark1964 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 06:17

where can I get them. Malt Miller doesn't seem to sell them.

ITS TIME 4 ANOTHER BEER
mark1964
Brewer

Re: flaked oats

Postby jkp » Thu Jun 25, 2015 07:15

Don't most people just use supermarket Instant Oatmeal? It's flaked and fully gelatinized, so ready to use.

jkp
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Thu Jun 25, 2015 07:28

How much do you want Mark I bought 25 kg bag recently?

You can't toast instant oatmeal ;)

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby mark1964 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 07:51

Not that much Tony :lol: Half a kilo would be fine. If the quaker ones are OK I'll use them

ITS TIME 4 ANOTHER BEER
mark1964
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Thu Jun 25, 2015 08:48

I'm more than happy to stick 500g in the post for the cost of postage mark . . . around 3.60 for 500g or so IIRC

Quaker ones are fine, or if you are really lucky you can fine the Mornflake Super Jumbo Oats in the supermarket . . .Try the 'Free From' Aisle. . . That's what I used to use until the quantities I use in my Large kit just got silly for my Oatmeal stout :lol: . . . plus they became difficult to find in my local Morrisons . . in decent sized packets . . .500g packets should be fine

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby jkp » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:11

Aleman wrote:You can't toast instant oatmeal ;)

Really?

Perhaps the instant oatmeal I have is different. It just looks like oatmeal that has been chopped up a bit, but still flakes rather than powder. I can't see why you can't toast it in the oven, in fact I have done. Maybe I'm missing something. :scratch:

jkp
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:12

The oatmeal that I've seen is pretty powdery stuff . . . which is why I go for whole oats

Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby robwalker » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:52

Supermarket rolled oats are ready to mash too. I used ready brek and got good results! Might upset the water though, lots of additives in it.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby mark1964 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:29

Tony that would be great. I'll pm address. Thanks.

ITS TIME 4 ANOTHER BEER
mark1964
Brewer

Postby serum » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:36

Malt miller sells them but they're not in the adjuncts so you might have missed them:

http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.ph ... ductId=510

FV - Blond Biere de Garde
Bottled: Altbier, XX Bitter
Planned: Amber Saison, Spelt Saison
serum
Brewer