Does flaked maize need pre-boiled before mash?

Postby StevieDS » Mon Apr 27, 2015 13:11

Soon I'm going to brew a Rochefort 8 clone using this recipe which is from a clone competition ran by a Dutch homebrew club.

The recipe contains a portion of flaked corn/maize and it says to boil this separately before adding it to the mash.

What would be the reason for this, I thought flaked adjuncts like this didn't require boiling as they were already gelatinised by the rolling process?

"The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Planning: Brett Amarillo Smash
Fermenting: AG52 Brett Saison v2, AG41 Lambic v2.0
Conditioning: AG51 Brett Saison, AG48 Biere de Garde, AG42 Westvleteren XII Clone, AG29 Lambic v1.0
Drinking: AG51 Brett Saison v1, AG53 Standard Bitter
StevieDS
Brewer

Re: Does flaked maize need pre-boiled before mash?

Postby robwalker » Mon Apr 27, 2015 13:19

nope, just chuck it in.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby StevieDS » Mon Apr 27, 2015 14:30

robwalker wrote:nope, just chuck it in.

That's what I've always done with flaked grains, I wonder why this recipe suggests boiling first :hmm:

"The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Planning: Brett Amarillo Smash
Fermenting: AG52 Brett Saison v2, AG41 Lambic v2.0
Conditioning: AG51 Brett Saison, AG48 Biere de Garde, AG42 Westvleteren XII Clone, AG29 Lambic v1.0
Drinking: AG51 Brett Saison v1, AG53 Standard Bitter
StevieDS
Brewer

Postby bobsbeer » Mon Apr 27, 2015 16:20

Unless it was to reduce the absorption of the mash liquor. Can't think of any other reason.
bobsbeer
Brewer

Postby PhatFil » Mon Apr 27, 2015 16:42

afaik its about releasing starch into solution for the enzymes to get to, its cooked when the liquor thickens or gels with the released corn starch

Heat 5 gallons of water to roughly 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Once the temperature is reached, cut off the heat. It won't be needed for a while. Pour all of the crushed corn into the water and stir for 3-5 minutes. After that stir for 5-10 seconds every 5 minutes.

The corn will turn to a "gel" as it gets stirred up. Do not be alarmed, this is perfectly normal. The corn is being broken down and starch is being released, which makes the mixture quite thick. Once the barley is added and mashing begins, the mixture will thin out considerably.

from a site discussing mashing with an end goal we cant really chat about here ;)
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby pittsy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 19:12

from my understanding that refers to unmalted corn not flaked which is steam rolled .
pittsy
Brewer

Postby Bribie G » Mon May 11, 2015 23:22

Flaked "steam rolled" maize is pre-gelatinised, whereas other forms of cornmeal or flakes might not be.

You can save yourself a lot of money by using Polenta, which you boil to a mush before adding to the mash. Boiled polenta gets converted by Alpha Amylase really fast.
Bribie G
Brewer