Flaked oats

The main ingredient

Flaked oats

Postby Brycey » Thu Feb 05, 2015 13:19

I'm going to have a go at GA's Proper Job clone on Sunday.
The recipe calls for some flaked oats. I've seen other threads mentioning instant porridge or ready brek is this what I'm looking for and do i just add it to the mash as normal?

Cheers
B
Brycey
Brewer

Re: Flaked oats

Postby graysalchemy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 13:30

No you want just bog standard porridge oats and do a quick glucan rest its not complicated or difficult. However some do use instant and avoid the glucan rest but I have never tried it and since a glucan rest is so simple it doesn't seem worth it.

graysalchemy

Postby Brycey » Thu Feb 05, 2015 13:37

What's involved in a glucan rest?

B
Brycey
Brewer

Postby LeithR » Thu Feb 05, 2015 14:29

HERE's John Palmer's take on a Glucan Rest, see particularly the 4th chapter.

Hop Tea - how to

Puppy Slacko 5.9.3 Linux user see HERE for details.

Searching for other planets? Why, this is the only one with beer!
LeithR
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Thu Feb 05, 2015 14:41

Palmer's works on the whole mash, doing a separate glucan rest only affects the glucan added by the oats. Making it easier for single infusion mashers ;)

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby robwalker » Thu Feb 05, 2015 14:50

You can use ready brek, it works fine. Rolled oats do not require gelatinizing.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Thu Feb 05, 2015 14:54

robwalker wrote:You can use ready brek, it works fine. Rolled oats do not require gelatinizing.

:Hmm:
they do contain high levels of Glucans though which should be broken down or they can cause issues with lautering when you want to sparge.

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby jkp » Thu Feb 05, 2015 14:57

I thought the use of instant oats was because they have been fully gelatinized and don't need to be cooked before use. Traditional porridge oats may not be fully gelatinized.

jkp
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 15:03

A glucan rest isn't hard.

Take your oats and add 10-20% of the weight of oats in Pale malt. Add water at roughly 35-40c at a rate of 3L/KG and hold at 35/40c for 20-30 minutes. Once done raise the temp upto the the temp of your mash and add to the main mash (i do this at the start I know aleman adds to the already started mash)

This can all be done in a pan on the stove as the quantities are not usually to great.

graysalchemy

Postby Aleman » Thu Feb 05, 2015 15:22

jkp wrote:I thought the use of instant oats was because they have been fully gelatinized and don't need to be cooked before use. Traditional porridge oats may not be fully gelatinized.

I'll repeat, Regardless of whether the oats have been precooked and gelatinised, oats contain higher levels of glucans than pale malt, glucans are really sticky compounds and can cause a severely stuck mash.

Just like this one which used 20% flaked oats in the mash

Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby Brycey » Thu Feb 05, 2015 16:12

The glucan rest seams easy enough but i don't really need to worry about a stuck mash as I'll be doing biab. Is this the only reason for the glucan rest?

B
Brycey
Brewer

Postby jkp » Thu Feb 05, 2015 16:39

Aleman wrote:
jkp wrote:I thought the use of instant oats was because they have been fully gelatinized and don't need to be cooked before use. Traditional porridge oats may not be fully gelatinized.

I'll repeat, Regardless of whether the oats have been precooked and gelatinised, oats contain higher levels of glucans than pale malt, glucans are really sticky compounds and can cause a severely stuck mash.

I never doubted the need for the glucan rest! It was just a question of whether instant or porridge oats are OK to use. :thumb:

jkp
Brewer

Postby Pjam » Thu Feb 05, 2015 16:50

As the GA says, a glucan rest is very easy, normal oats are very cheap and I think well worth the little effort of the rest, I toast mine also. Great results IMO :thumb:
Pjam
Brewer

Postby rpt » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:26

If you are doing BIAB you don't need to do a glucan rest.

rpt
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 13:16

rpt wrote:If you are doing BIAB you don't need to do a glucan rest.

Without the glucan rest you won't get the benefits of head retention, which since this thread is about one of my recipes was one of my main reasons for using oats in the first place.

graysalchemy

Postby Brycey » Fri Feb 06, 2015 15:46

Forgot to ask GA what temperature was the main mash and was it a 90 min mash?

Cheers
B
Brycey
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 15:48

90 minutes at 66c :thumb: :thumb:

graysalchemy

Postby Brycey » Fri Feb 06, 2015 15:51

:thumb:
Finish work in about half an hour then into town to get the oats.

B
Brycey
Brewer

Postby rpt » Fri Feb 06, 2015 16:06

graysalchemy wrote:Without the glucan rest you won't get the benefits of head retention

I know we've been here before, but as far as I can tell you do not need the glucan rest to get the benefit of head retention.

rpt
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 16:53

You do it breaks up the longer chain molecules into shorter ones which aid head retention.

graysalchemy

Postby rpt » Fri Feb 06, 2015 17:06

Glucans are polysaccharides (as are carbonhydrates) and not proteins. The difference between glucans and carbohydrates is that the bonds are different. Different enzymes are needed to break the bonds which is why different temperatures are needed for the glucan and saccharification rests.

Oats are good for head retention because of their protein and lipid (fat) content. Nothing I have seen suggests that the glucan rest is needed for the head retention benefits.

rpt
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 17:15

The lipids actually hinder head retention in any beer, so that part is detrimental, a problem people find when trying to make flavoured beers with additives with a high oil content, coconut being one of them.

graysalchemy

Postby Exe Brewer » Sun Feb 08, 2015 19:08

If I've read the 4th paragraph correctly, it says "The use of this rest is only necessary for brewers incorporating a large amount (>25%) of unmalted or flaked wheat, rye or oatmeal in the mash" So for GA's recipe it is saying it is not necessary/essential?? Or.....as it is an easy process to undertake is it worth doing it anyway..........probably it is. :hmm:

I am planning my next malt/hop etc purchase and plan to do this clone sometime in the future, hopefully more than once, so will be very interested how you get on with it Brycey, especially regarding the resting and the taste of course. :thumb:
Exe Brewer
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 20:43

I take it that is from Palmers book, not a book I would regard as a bible. As I have said it is easy to do and does aid head retention regardless of what others think.

graysalchemy

Postby TwoBottles » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:37

Probably a dumb question but what is the difference between the oats being discussed above and the MaltMillers malted flaked oats, other then cost?
TwoBottles
Brewer

Next